Mar 7, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
Say what you may about former Calgary Flames general manager Darryl Sutter – he’s certainly worthy of criticism – but he landed two of the league’s biggest free agent bargains last summer. It isn’t that surprising that Alex Tanguay is providing great bang for the buck, but considering the fact that Brendan Morrison couldn’t even earn a lower spot on the Vancouver Canucks roster, his nice season has been a bit unexpected.
Morrison already missed two games after injuring his left knee last week, but GM Jay Feaster announced that the center will need at least 2-3 weeks for the swelling to go down. Feaster said that he will be re-evaluated once that swelling goes down, so it’s possible he might not play again until the playoffs (if Calgary makes it, of course).
The former Canucks’ No. 1 center has nine goals and 34 assists for 43 points in 66 games, already besting his output from last season, when he played in the high-scoring Washington Capitals system. Morrison also leads the Flames in plus/minus with a +13 rating.
One of the knocks on this Flames team is that they’ve been weak in the pivot position the last few years, so losing one of their best centers could be a pretty big blow. We’ll provide an update on Morrison’s condition whenever that information becomes available.
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 0
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 7
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)