Mar 7, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
Say what you may about former Calgary Flames general manager Darryl Sutter – he’s certainly worthy of criticism – but he landed two of the league’s biggest free agent bargains last summer. It isn’t that surprising that Alex Tanguay is providing great bang for the buck, but considering the fact that Brendan Morrison couldn’t even earn a lower spot on the Vancouver Canucks roster, his nice season has been a bit unexpected.
Morrison already missed two games after injuring his left knee last week, but GM Jay Feaster announced that the center will need at least 2-3 weeks for the swelling to go down. Feaster said that he will be re-evaluated once that swelling goes down, so it’s possible he might not play again until the playoffs (if Calgary makes it, of course).
The former Canucks’ No. 1 center has nine goals and 34 assists for 43 points in 66 games, already besting his output from last season, when he played in the high-scoring Washington Capitals system. Morrison also leads the Flames in plus/minus with a +13 rating.
One of the knocks on this Flames team is that they’ve been weak in the pivot position the last few years, so losing one of their best centers could be a pretty big blow. We’ll provide an update on Morrison’s condition whenever that information becomes available.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)