Mar 7, 2011, 11:02 PM EST
While he wasn’t the acting Chicago Blackhawks general manager when the team won their first Stanley Cup in almost 40 years, Dale Tallon still made most of the personnel moves that allowed the team to power its way to the top of the NHL.
While he places his stamp on a troubled organization as the new general manager of the Florida Panthers, Tallon must put those Hawks roots behind him. Even if there might be some instances in which that past seeps through (example: trading with the Blackhawks to acquire Jack Skille).
His new team will host his old team Tuesday, as the fading Panthers will play against the red-hot Blackhawks. It should be an emotional evening for some – particularly former Panthers winger Michael Frolik, who wasn’t expecting to be traded to Chicago – but Tallon at least claims that he’s moved on.
On Sunday night, while watching his Panthers lose to Washington, Tallon said he has completely divorced himself from the Blackhawks organization in a career that spanned four decades. While he says he still watches Chicago games on television, he does so no more than other teams in the league.
“I’ve cut the cord, had closure and have moved on,” Tallon said. “I wish them nothing but the best, wish them success. I’m focused on the Panthers and that’s all I care about. It will be interesting and different, but there’s nothing there for me know. I have to keep the faith and keep working here. It was a great 33-year run there, but the day I drank out of the Cup, that was it for me.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)