Mar 6, 2011, 12:13 PM EST
When we discussed the reasons why the Philadelphia Flyers have been struggling, bigger picture issues like a lack of hunger, scoring and finishing ability were cited. Yet there’s one everyday issue that is plaguing the Flyers’ locker room: the sniffles.
OK, it’s actually the flu, but the sniffles sounds funnier.
Tim Panaccio writes that the flu problems began a few weeks ago when Mike Richards went down with it. Jeff Carter is currently one of its victims, as he already missed a game and is expected to miss today’s game against the New York Rangers, also according to Panaccio.
The Flyers have a deep well of talented forwards – even if they’re not producing much offense lately – so theoretically, Philly can bounce back from this problem. Still, losing Carter’s relentless shooting instincts will undoubtedly hurt.
(Oh, on a not-that-important note, the road Flyers will wear their typical home orange jerseys while the Rangers will wear white jerseys. Interesting, eh?)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)