Mar 6, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Some nights, there aren’t really any great choices for the best goal. Saturday provided plenty, although it came down to two great backhand scores by Philadelphia Flyers youngster James van Riemsdyk and second year New York Islanders center John Tavares. (Both, by the way, went really high in their respective drafts.)
As great as JVR’s goal was, we will have to go with this amazing display by Tavares. Check it out below and feel free to debate its merit vs. JVR’s in the comments (because it was definitely a tough call). For the sake of debate and entertainment, the amazing JVR goal is underneath the Tavares tally.
JVR’s runner up:
It’s still tough to say, right?
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 0
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 2
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 14
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 45
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)