Mar 6, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Some nights, there aren’t really any great choices for the best goal. Saturday provided plenty, although it came down to two great backhand scores by Philadelphia Flyers youngster James van Riemsdyk and second year New York Islanders center John Tavares. (Both, by the way, went really high in their respective drafts.)
As great as JVR’s goal was, we will have to go with this amazing display by Tavares. Check it out below and feel free to debate its merit vs. JVR’s in the comments (because it was definitely a tough call). For the sake of debate and entertainment, the amazing JVR goal is underneath the Tavares tally.
JVR’s runner up:
It’s still tough to say, right?
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 11
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 38
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)