Mar 6, 2011, 1:29 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan and the New York Rangers came storming out of the gate in this game, as the gritty and talented forward scored two goals to give the team a 2-0 lead. Yet when many discuss this period, the officiating might steal the spotlight.
Off the top of our heads, some of the questionable calls include a shaky 10-minute misconduct and minor instigator penalty on Brian Boyle, a typical retaliation penalty on Mike Richards, a missed delay of game when Ryan McDonagh sent a puck over the boards and maybe a dive here or there. Both Peter Laviolette and especially John Tortorella were seen barking at the referees even more than often during the first.
Still, that little batch of controversy overshadows a first period dominated by the desperate Rangers. While the 12-7 shot advantage is a quick indicator of their superior play, it’s all in the two teams’ body language; New York is selling out for every play while the Flyers seem to resemble a college student who slept in on a Sunday afternoon.
That being said, a 2-0 margin isn’t automatic in the post-lockout NHL. We’ll keep you posted on an important game for the Big Apple’s favorite hockey team and an at-this-point lethargic contest for the Flyers.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (92)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)