Mar 6, 2011, 1:29 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan and the New York Rangers came storming out of the gate in this game, as the gritty and talented forward scored two goals to give the team a 2-0 lead. Yet when many discuss this period, the officiating might steal the spotlight.
Off the top of our heads, some of the questionable calls include a shaky 10-minute misconduct and minor instigator penalty on Brian Boyle, a typical retaliation penalty on Mike Richards, a missed delay of game when Ryan McDonagh sent a puck over the boards and maybe a dive here or there. Both Peter Laviolette and especially John Tortorella were seen barking at the referees even more than often during the first.
Still, that little batch of controversy overshadows a first period dominated by the desperate Rangers. While the 12-7 shot advantage is a quick indicator of their superior play, it’s all in the two teams’ body language; New York is selling out for every play while the Flyers seem to resemble a college student who slept in on a Sunday afternoon.
That being said, a 2-0 margin isn’t automatic in the post-lockout NHL. We’ll keep you posted on an important game for the Big Apple’s favorite hockey team and an at-this-point lethargic contest for the Flyers.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)