Mar 6, 2011, 1:29 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan and the New York Rangers came storming out of the gate in this game, as the gritty and talented forward scored two goals to give the team a 2-0 lead. Yet when many discuss this period, the officiating might steal the spotlight.
Off the top of our heads, some of the questionable calls include a shaky 10-minute misconduct and minor instigator penalty on Brian Boyle, a typical retaliation penalty on Mike Richards, a missed delay of game when Ryan McDonagh sent a puck over the boards and maybe a dive here or there. Both Peter Laviolette and especially John Tortorella were seen barking at the referees even more than often during the first.
Still, that little batch of controversy overshadows a first period dominated by the desperate Rangers. While the 12-7 shot advantage is a quick indicator of their superior play, it’s all in the two teams’ body language; New York is selling out for every play while the Flyers seem to resemble a college student who slept in on a Sunday afternoon.
That being said, a 2-0 margin isn’t automatic in the post-lockout NHL. We’ll keep you posted on an important game for the Big Apple’s favorite hockey team and an at-this-point lethargic contest for the Flyers.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)