Mar 6, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
It’s probably a bit unfair to say that a lack of desire is what has been plaguing the Philadelphia Flyers since the All-Star Game, but there should be little doubt that the New York Rangers are playing much harder in this game. After a Ryan Callahan-powered 2-0 first period, the desperate Blueshirts doubled their lead to 4-0 after two periods.
Mats Zuccarello cashed in on a 2-on-1 during a raucous 4-on-4 between the two teams to give the Rangers a three-goal lead and then Callahan forced a horrendous Kris Versteeg turnover to score for the third time. This marks the first hat trick of Callahan’s career.
The Flyers pulled Brian Boucher in favor of Sergei Bobrovsky, but it’s hard to lay all the blame on Boucher for a 4-0 deficit even if he allowed those goals on just 18 shots. That’s because Philly left their veteran goalie on an island during many instances in this game, as the Flyers are producing minimal resistance to a hungry Rangers team.
This game isn’t over, but if Philadelphia keeps playing the way they have been, it will be a leisurely third for Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers. We’ll see if the Flyers can make a game of this.
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 30
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 71
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (71)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)