Mar 6, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
It’s probably a bit unfair to say that a lack of desire is what has been plaguing the Philadelphia Flyers since the All-Star Game, but there should be little doubt that the New York Rangers are playing much harder in this game. After a Ryan Callahan-powered 2-0 first period, the desperate Blueshirts doubled their lead to 4-0 after two periods.
Mats Zuccarello cashed in on a 2-on-1 during a raucous 4-on-4 between the two teams to give the Rangers a three-goal lead and then Callahan forced a horrendous Kris Versteeg turnover to score for the third time. This marks the first hat trick of Callahan’s career.
The Flyers pulled Brian Boucher in favor of Sergei Bobrovsky, but it’s hard to lay all the blame on Boucher for a 4-0 deficit even if he allowed those goals on just 18 shots. That’s because Philly left their veteran goalie on an island during many instances in this game, as the Flyers are producing minimal resistance to a hungry Rangers team.
This game isn’t over, but if Philadelphia keeps playing the way they have been, it will be a leisurely third for Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers. We’ll see if the Flyers can make a game of this.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)