Mar 6, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
It’s probably a bit unfair to say that a lack of desire is what has been plaguing the Philadelphia Flyers since the All-Star Game, but there should be little doubt that the New York Rangers are playing much harder in this game. After a Ryan Callahan-powered 2-0 first period, the desperate Blueshirts doubled their lead to 4-0 after two periods.
Mats Zuccarello cashed in on a 2-on-1 during a raucous 4-on-4 between the two teams to give the Rangers a three-goal lead and then Callahan forced a horrendous Kris Versteeg turnover to score for the third time. This marks the first hat trick of Callahan’s career.
The Flyers pulled Brian Boucher in favor of Sergei Bobrovsky, but it’s hard to lay all the blame on Boucher for a 4-0 deficit even if he allowed those goals on just 18 shots. That’s because Philly left their veteran goalie on an island during many instances in this game, as the Flyers are producing minimal resistance to a hungry Rangers team.
This game isn’t over, but if Philadelphia keeps playing the way they have been, it will be a leisurely third for Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers. We’ll see if the Flyers can make a game of this.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 38
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 15
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Quick gloves a few Sharks
- Play Video: Dustin Brown shaken up after collision
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3