Mar 6, 2011, 11:46 PM EDT
While the Philadelphia Flyers were busy showing off today why their hold on the top spot in the Eastern Conference may be a tenuous one, the Vancouver Canucks were doing their part to show off what they’re capable of doing out west. Vancouver shutout a hot Anaheim team 3-0 on the strength of a shutout by backup goaltender Cory Schneider. Schneider stopped 26 shots to earn his first career shutout and did so on a night where the Canucks may not have been generating many shots, but they made them count.
Manny Malhotra was the man of the quick strike attack scoring two goals. His first came just 42 seconds into the game while his second came 16 seconds into the start of the second period. Daniel Sedin added the third goal. Jannik Hansen had two assists for Vancouver. The Canucks scored three goals tonight on a total of 16 shots and what should’ve been an easy night for Ducks goalie Dan Ellis turned into a surprisingly rough one.
The win padded Vancouver’s cushion in the Western Conference to seven points. Vancouver’s 93 points is by far tops in the NHL and a reason to fear them. Anaheim’s loss prevented them from joining the fray of teams tied for sixth place at 77 points in the West while Ducks rival Los Angeles holds on to eighth with 75 points.
Not to get caught looking too far ahead, but Anaheim and Los Angeles play a home-and-home set to close out the season. Those two rivals going at each other’s throats to close out the season with playoff spots on the line sounds pretty good to us.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)