Mar 6, 2011, 11:46 PM EDT
While the Philadelphia Flyers were busy showing off today why their hold on the top spot in the Eastern Conference may be a tenuous one, the Vancouver Canucks were doing their part to show off what they’re capable of doing out west. Vancouver shutout a hot Anaheim team 3-0 on the strength of a shutout by backup goaltender Cory Schneider. Schneider stopped 26 shots to earn his first career shutout and did so on a night where the Canucks may not have been generating many shots, but they made them count.
Manny Malhotra was the man of the quick strike attack scoring two goals. His first came just 42 seconds into the game while his second came 16 seconds into the start of the second period. Daniel Sedin added the third goal. Jannik Hansen had two assists for Vancouver. The Canucks scored three goals tonight on a total of 16 shots and what should’ve been an easy night for Ducks goalie Dan Ellis turned into a surprisingly rough one.
The win padded Vancouver’s cushion in the Western Conference to seven points. Vancouver’s 93 points is by far tops in the NHL and a reason to fear them. Anaheim’s loss prevented them from joining the fray of teams tied for sixth place at 77 points in the West while Ducks rival Los Angeles holds on to eighth with 75 points.
Not to get caught looking too far ahead, but Anaheim and Los Angeles play a home-and-home set to close out the season. Those two rivals going at each other’s throats to close out the season with playoff spots on the line sounds pretty good to us.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)