Mar 5, 2011, 4:58 PM EST
After one period you would’ve thought it was going to be a Philly romp. The Flyers jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Kris Versteeg and James van Riemsdyk. The Sabres played like they didn’t have an answer for the Flyers. Luckily for them, hockey has more than one period and in the second they busted out in a big way getting goals from Drew Stafford, Tyler Ennis, and Andrej Sekera. With the lead being theirs at 3-2 the Sabres had the momentum until Kimmo Timonen scored shorthanded to even it up at three.
In the third period, however, the Sabres got one back when Jason Pominville scored on a beauty of a feed from Thomas Vanek to beat Sergei Bobrovsky and put Buffalo ahead for good. The Flyers would try to claw back but Nathan Gerbe‘s empty net goal salted the game away. Ryan Miller finished the game with 33 saves while Bobrovsky had 30 in the loss. The win moves Buffalo to one point behind Carolina for eighth and two behind the Rangers for seventh in the East. The loss is Philadelphia’s third in a row. They’re helping keep the Penguins in the running for the Atlantic Division title on their own.
Isles defenseman Andrew MacDonald was the offensive stud today scoring two goals. Getting that sort of offensive output from the blue line has been sorely lacking for the Isles this year with Mark Streit out for most of the season and MacDonald did well to inspire the fans with his play. Continuing to be an inspiration was Michael Grabner who had a goal and an assist as did P.A. Parenteau. John Tavares‘ first period goal might be the sort of thing you’ll see as our goal of the night. For St. Louis, their own Andy McDonald had a goal and an assist. Al Montoya was the winner for the Isles stopping 21 shots. Ben Bishop stopped just 17 for St. Louis in the loss.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 12
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 45
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)