Mar 5, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
After one period you would’ve thought it was going to be a Philly romp. The Flyers jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Kris Versteeg and James van Riemsdyk. The Sabres played like they didn’t have an answer for the Flyers. Luckily for them, hockey has more than one period and in the second they busted out in a big way getting goals from Drew Stafford, Tyler Ennis, and Andrej Sekera. With the lead being theirs at 3-2 the Sabres had the momentum until Kimmo Timonen scored shorthanded to even it up at three.
In the third period, however, the Sabres got one back when Jason Pominville scored on a beauty of a feed from Thomas Vanek to beat Sergei Bobrovsky and put Buffalo ahead for good. The Flyers would try to claw back but Nathan Gerbe‘s empty net goal salted the game away. Ryan Miller finished the game with 33 saves while Bobrovsky had 30 in the loss. The win moves Buffalo to one point behind Carolina for eighth and two behind the Rangers for seventh in the East. The loss is Philadelphia’s third in a row. They’re helping keep the Penguins in the running for the Atlantic Division title on their own.
Isles defenseman Andrew MacDonald was the offensive stud today scoring two goals. Getting that sort of offensive output from the blue line has been sorely lacking for the Isles this year with Mark Streit out for most of the season and MacDonald did well to inspire the fans with his play. Continuing to be an inspiration was Michael Grabner who had a goal and an assist as did P.A. Parenteau. John Tavares‘ first period goal might be the sort of thing you’ll see as our goal of the night. For St. Louis, their own Andy McDonald had a goal and an assist. Al Montoya was the winner for the Isles stopping 21 shots. Ben Bishop stopped just 17 for St. Louis in the loss.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)