Mar 5, 2011, 4:58 PM EST
After one period you would’ve thought it was going to be a Philly romp. The Flyers jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Kris Versteeg and James van Riemsdyk. The Sabres played like they didn’t have an answer for the Flyers. Luckily for them, hockey has more than one period and in the second they busted out in a big way getting goals from Drew Stafford, Tyler Ennis, and Andrej Sekera. With the lead being theirs at 3-2 the Sabres had the momentum until Kimmo Timonen scored shorthanded to even it up at three.
In the third period, however, the Sabres got one back when Jason Pominville scored on a beauty of a feed from Thomas Vanek to beat Sergei Bobrovsky and put Buffalo ahead for good. The Flyers would try to claw back but Nathan Gerbe‘s empty net goal salted the game away. Ryan Miller finished the game with 33 saves while Bobrovsky had 30 in the loss. The win moves Buffalo to one point behind Carolina for eighth and two behind the Rangers for seventh in the East. The loss is Philadelphia’s third in a row. They’re helping keep the Penguins in the running for the Atlantic Division title on their own.
Isles defenseman Andrew MacDonald was the offensive stud today scoring two goals. Getting that sort of offensive output from the blue line has been sorely lacking for the Isles this year with Mark Streit out for most of the season and MacDonald did well to inspire the fans with his play. Continuing to be an inspiration was Michael Grabner who had a goal and an assist as did P.A. Parenteau. John Tavares‘ first period goal might be the sort of thing you’ll see as our goal of the night. For St. Louis, their own Andy McDonald had a goal and an assist. Al Montoya was the winner for the Isles stopping 21 shots. Ben Bishop stopped just 17 for St. Louis in the loss.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 32
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)