Mar 5, 2011, 8:18 PM EST
Daniel Sedin scored the game-winner to bolster his league leading points total to 80 (two more than wunderkind Steven Stamkos) and Roberto Luongo earned the 300th win of his NHL career as the Vancouver Canucks topped the Los Angeles Kings 3-1 in a late afternoon game.
Luongo stopped 21 out of 22 shots in what was also his 30th win of the 2010-11 season as the Canucks became the first team to cross the 90-point threshold (91 right now). Dustin Penner scored while Jonathan Quick made 33 saves in a losing effort for the (currently) sixth place Kings.
With the Flyers going through a small rough patch, it’s tough to argue with the fact that the Canucks are the best team in the NHL right now. Plenty can go wrong with injuries and unforeseen hot streaks. Yet with Daniel in a great position to match his twin Henrik’s Hart Trophy win from 2009-10, Luongo rounding back into elite form and a deep, talented cast surrounding their impressive nucleus, Vancouver is in its best position to secure that elusive first Stanley Cup since 1994.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)