Mar 5, 2011, 8:18 PM EST
Daniel Sedin scored the game-winner to bolster his league leading points total to 80 (two more than wunderkind Steven Stamkos) and Roberto Luongo earned the 300th win of his NHL career as the Vancouver Canucks topped the Los Angeles Kings 3-1 in a late afternoon game.
Luongo stopped 21 out of 22 shots in what was also his 30th win of the 2010-11 season as the Canucks became the first team to cross the 90-point threshold (91 right now). Dustin Penner scored while Jonathan Quick made 33 saves in a losing effort for the (currently) sixth place Kings.
With the Flyers going through a small rough patch, it’s tough to argue with the fact that the Canucks are the best team in the NHL right now. Plenty can go wrong with injuries and unforeseen hot streaks. Yet with Daniel in a great position to match his twin Henrik’s Hart Trophy win from 2009-10, Luongo rounding back into elite form and a deep, talented cast surrounding their impressive nucleus, Vancouver is in its best position to secure that elusive first Stanley Cup since 1994.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 14
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)