Mar 5, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
The Devils improved their record to 19-2-2 in their last 23 games as they continue to cling to their slim playoff hopes. Ilya Kovalchuk with yet another game-winning goal; for those keeping track at home, that’s 6 GWGs in the Devils last 12 games. In addition to Kovalchuk, Travis Zajac was able to shine bright with a goal and a fight. New Jersey followed the same script they’ve been using for two months—great defense, good goaltending, and timely goal scoring.
A trip to Kanata, ON was just what the Rangers needed to cure their 3-game losing streak. The Blueshirts used a two goal in 12 seconds explosion to blow the game wide open against the last place Senators. In fact, they jumped out to a 4-0 lead before the Sens broke up the shutout effort—but the result was never really in doubt. Henrik Lundqvist will just have to settle for 28 out of 29 saves.
Craig Anderson was less than spectacular in what turned out to be his worst game as a Senator. Anderson had a 1.16 goals against average in 6 games with his new team going into the game, but never looked like that goaltender as he was shaky throughout. Hey, at least Sergei Gonchar scored!
All of the signs were there for the Hurricanes. They were coming off an emotional overtime victory. They were playing the second game of a back-to-back. They were using a back-up goaltender that hadn’t started in 25 games. Would they be able to overcome all of that and beat the defending Stanley Cup champs? Absolutely not.
Whenever a team gives up 3 goals in four and half minutes, it’s going to tough to climb back into the game. The three goals by the Hawks pushed a 2-1 lead to an insurmountable 5-1 lead. They got balanced scoring that looked a lot like the team that lifted the Cup last season. Not a bad way to start the first of five straight games against the Eastern Conference.
Not many games feature two penalty shots by the same team—and even rarer to see a team fail on both opportunities. It was the first time in 25 years that a team missed two penalty shots in the same game. They probably should have just stopped there and realized it wasn’t going to be their night. They are now 0-for-4 on penalty shots in their last 5 games. Not surprisingly, they’re also riding a 4 game losing streak during the most important time of the season.
The folks up in Calgary summed up the win like this: Kipper > Mason; Calgary special teams > Columbus special teams. It’s hard to argue when Kiprusoff faces 40 shots, the power play scored twice on a 4-minute power play, and the penalty kill survived 3 shorthanded situations. All of that added up to a win that moved the Flames up to the 5th spot in the West. Of course, things change every few hours in the West—so don’t pay too much attention.
Lubomir Visnovsky scored his first hat trick in Ducks history, including a power play goal with 3.8 seconds left in overtime, to give Anaheim an important two points. The win helped the Ducks inch closer and tied them with both the Predators and Stars with 75 points. They’ve picked a perfect time for a 3-game winning streak during a 7-game homestand against six Western Conference opponents.
Even though the Stars earned a point in the OT loss, they’ll be disappointed that they blew a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period and let the Ducks get two points. Kari Lehtonen was great in the 1st period and played well, but it didn’t matter as the Ducks scored on two power plays and a beautiful passing play in the last 25 minutes. No rest for the weary though—they turn around and play against the San Jose Sharks on Saturday night. Good luck with that.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)