Mar 5, 2011, 4:39 AM EDT
Even though this is supposed to be the hardest time of the season to win, the Bruins, Blackhawks, and Sharks have combined for 22 straight wins. You read that right — 22. Boston has won 7 straight. Chicago’s streak is also sitting at lucky #7. The Sharks one-upped both of them with an 8-game winning streak of their own. Obvious guy says these teams are hot.
Here’s the question though: which of these three teams will lose first?
The Bruins face off with the Pittsburgh Penguins who lost a heartbreaker in OT against the Devils last night. Likewise, the San Jose Sharks welcome a deflated Stars team that blew a 2-goal lead in the 3rd period and eventually lost in OT to the Ducks last night. Chicago visits Toronto in a game that features two teams that are playing about 100x better than they were at the beginning of the season. All three teams should face challenges on Saturday — but realistically all three are favorites to continue their winning streaks.
Both the Sharks and Blackhawks started out slow, but if the playoffs were to start tomorrow they’d both have home-ice advantage for the first round of the playoffs. Who knows, we might get a replay of last year’s Western Conference finals. On the other hand, the Bruins have played well all season but didn’t always earn victories in the games where they may have deserved a better fate. With recent acquisitions Tomas Kaberle, Chris Kelly, and Rich Peverely, the Bruins look like they’ve turned a corner and are one of the strongest teams in the NHL.
It wouldn’t be surprising to see all three teams make the conference finals this spring. But I’ll go out on a limb and say one of these teams is going to lose before then. But which will be the first to drop a game?
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)