Mar 5, 2011, 4:39 AM EST
Even though this is supposed to be the hardest time of the season to win, the Bruins, Blackhawks, and Sharks have combined for 22 straight wins. You read that right — 22. Boston has won 7 straight. Chicago’s streak is also sitting at lucky #7. The Sharks one-upped both of them with an 8-game winning streak of their own. Obvious guy says these teams are hot.
Here’s the question though: which of these three teams will lose first?
The Bruins face off with the Pittsburgh Penguins who lost a heartbreaker in OT against the Devils last night. Likewise, the San Jose Sharks welcome a deflated Stars team that blew a 2-goal lead in the 3rd period and eventually lost in OT to the Ducks last night. Chicago visits Toronto in a game that features two teams that are playing about 100x better than they were at the beginning of the season. All three teams should face challenges on Saturday — but realistically all three are favorites to continue their winning streaks.
Both the Sharks and Blackhawks started out slow, but if the playoffs were to start tomorrow they’d both have home-ice advantage for the first round of the playoffs. Who knows, we might get a replay of last year’s Western Conference finals. On the other hand, the Bruins have played well all season but didn’t always earn victories in the games where they may have deserved a better fate. With recent acquisitions Tomas Kaberle, Chris Kelly, and Rich Peverely, the Bruins look like they’ve turned a corner and are one of the strongest teams in the NHL.
It wouldn’t be surprising to see all three teams make the conference finals this spring. But I’ll go out on a limb and say one of these teams is going to lose before then. But which will be the first to drop a game?
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)