Mar 4, 2011, 12:49 AM EDT
The Edmonton rookie did a little bit of everything in the Oilers 4-2 win over the Blue Jackets. He had a goal, an assist, a couple of shots, and was a plus 2 in just over 9 minutes of play on his way to 1st Star of the Game honors. But on top of the usual exploits fans in Edmonton have gotten used to, Taylor Hall got into his first NHL fight when he dropped the gloves with Derek Dorsett. Unfortunately at the end of the fight, Hall landed awkwardly on his left ankle and missed the rest of the game.
Hall is expected to have an MRI tomorrow to find out what kind of damage he did to his ankle. The Oilers’ rookie delivered a check to Matt Calvert and had Derek Dorsett chase him around the ice until Hall engaged. Even though it’s tough to see a superstar player injured and possibly miss time because of a fight, you have to give it up to Hall for standing up for himself after Dorsett went after him.
We expected Taylor Hall to deliver hat tricks. We expected highlight reel goals. But who expected a Gordie Howe hat-trick only 5 months into his career?
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2