Mar 4, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
The Caps announced that goalie Semyon Varlamov would not be joining them on their road trip and that he’ll likely be out another 7-10 days with an apparent knee injury. With Varlamov out, Michal Neuvirth has taken hold of the starting job in Washington and he’s been outstanding of late.
In Neuvirth’s last three starts he’s allowed just five goals and won all three games. His save percentage over those games is a stellar .943 with a 1.67 goals against average. Stepping it up while Varlamov’s been down has been key for the Capitals as they’re now just one point behind Tampa Bay for the lead in the Southeast Division.
If Neuvirth can keep that brand of play up while Varlamov is out with yet another injury, it could make Varlamov’s presence in Washington redundant. While Varlamov and Neuvirth have found a way to split time while they’ve been healthy, with Varlamov out Neuvirth has carried the load well and with the playoffs approaching, having one goalie to bank on is important. Neuvirth is taking control of the starting job in Washington and while Varlamov is the more experienced of the two guys (even slightly) you can’t argue about who’s been the most reliable this season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)