Mar 4, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
The Caps announced that goalie Semyon Varlamov would not be joining them on their road trip and that he’ll likely be out another 7-10 days with an apparent knee injury. With Varlamov out, Michal Neuvirth has taken hold of the starting job in Washington and he’s been outstanding of late.
In Neuvirth’s last three starts he’s allowed just five goals and won all three games. His save percentage over those games is a stellar .943 with a 1.67 goals against average. Stepping it up while Varlamov’s been down has been key for the Capitals as they’re now just one point behind Tampa Bay for the lead in the Southeast Division.
If Neuvirth can keep that brand of play up while Varlamov is out with yet another injury, it could make Varlamov’s presence in Washington redundant. While Varlamov and Neuvirth have found a way to split time while they’ve been healthy, with Varlamov out Neuvirth has carried the load well and with the playoffs approaching, having one goalie to bank on is important. Neuvirth is taking control of the starting job in Washington and while Varlamov is the more experienced of the two guys (even slightly) you can’t argue about who’s been the most reliable this season.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)