Mar 4, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
The Caps announced that goalie Semyon Varlamov would not be joining them on their road trip and that he’ll likely be out another 7-10 days with an apparent knee injury. With Varlamov out, Michal Neuvirth has taken hold of the starting job in Washington and he’s been outstanding of late.
In Neuvirth’s last three starts he’s allowed just five goals and won all three games. His save percentage over those games is a stellar .943 with a 1.67 goals against average. Stepping it up while Varlamov’s been down has been key for the Capitals as they’re now just one point behind Tampa Bay for the lead in the Southeast Division.
If Neuvirth can keep that brand of play up while Varlamov is out with yet another injury, it could make Varlamov’s presence in Washington redundant. While Varlamov and Neuvirth have found a way to split time while they’ve been healthy, with Varlamov out Neuvirth has carried the load well and with the playoffs approaching, having one goalie to bank on is important. Neuvirth is taking control of the starting job in Washington and while Varlamov is the more experienced of the two guys (even slightly) you can’t argue about who’s been the most reliable this season.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off