Mar 4, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
7:00 p.m. ET
Pittsburgh @ New Jersey
The Devils are on a crazy run and they’re coming off a big win over Tampa Bay on Wednesday night. The Penguins are losers of five of their last six games and hurting for goals. The Devils during their run have been reminiscent of Devils teams from the past playing stifling defensive hockey. I think you can see where I’m going with this one and it doesn’t bode well for Pittsburgh. The Pens are five points behind Philly for the lead in the Atlantic and the Eastern Conference. A win would help them keep the Caps off their heels for fourth and help them narrow the gap on the Flyers. The Devils, meanwhile, can’t afford to lose any games making virtually every game from here out like Game 7 for them.
7:30 p.m. ET
NY Rangers @ Ottawa
Things are getting awkward for the Rangers now. They’re in eighth in the East now and sit just two points ahead of Buffalo and three ahead of a hot and streaking Toronto. The Rangers can’t seem to score on anyone and facing Craig Anderson and the Senators tonight doesn’t help their prospects there. Anderson has allowed just seven goals in six games with the Sens and has a .966 save percentage over those games. The Rangers have lost three in a row and have just four goals in those three games. With Ottawa in full on spoiler mode (both for other teams and their own shot at the #1 pick) this isn’t shaping up to be a good night for New York.
8:30 p.m. ET
Carolina @ Chicago
The good news for Carolina is they’re not in eighth place anymore jumping to seventh in the East. The bad news is that they’ve got to face Jonathan Toews and the streaking Blackhawks tonight. Chicago has won six in a row and have vaulted themselves heavily into the mix for the playoffs in the West. As things go there, wins and other teams winning move you up and down the standings wildly, but Chicago is in that position now thanks to Toews. Just a couple weeks ago, they were on the outside looking in and feeling desperate. This season’s been funny like that for a lot of teams out West. Well, funny if you make the playoffs, infuriating if you miss them.
9:00 p.m. ET
Columbus @ Calgary
Remember three games ago when Columbus looked poised to join the fray fighting for a spot in the playoffs? Those were fun times. The Jackets have, instead, lost three in a row and returned to their regular place in the “also ran” category. Steve Mason‘s play has returned to earth and with it so have the hopes of Columbus fans. Hockey life is cruel. Calgary comes in 5-2-1 in their last eight and looking to bounce back after a 6-4 loss to Chicago on Wednesday. Outside of that game, Miikka Kiprusoff has been outstanding for Calgary in goal of late. The Flames may be without Brendan Morrison in this one.
10:00 p.m. ET
Dallas @ Anaheim
A pair of teams looking to stay hot as Dallas goes into Anaheim on a three-game win streak while the the Ducks have won two in a row. We can’t stress enough how important it is to keep the good times rolling in the Western Conference. Surprising development for Anaheim? The great play of Dan Ellis in goal. Ellis is 2-0-1 with Anaheim with a 1.93 goals against and a .929 save percentage. With Jonas Hiller out getting solid play like this from Ellis is huge for the Ducks in their efforts to get into the playoffs. Dallas, meanwhile, seems to have settled down after avoiding the Brad Richards trade drama. After a prolonged dry spell, they’ve got three wins in a row and back into the fray for the playoffs.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)