Mar 3, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
Forgive us for sounding like broken records, but the latest news on Sidney Crosby is that – while coach Dan Bylsma says he’s “getting better” – there really hasn’t been much tangible progress for the Pittsburgh Penguins’ concussed star.
He could be back in a month, deep into the playoffs or possibly not again until the 2011-12 season.
That’s the nature of the beast with concussions, but give the Penguins credit. A less patient team might try to rush him back, but the franchise seems to understand the importance of protecting his health. Besides, with Evgeni Malkin out for the season, the team’s ceiling is lower anyway. So why run the risk of the 23-year-old center becoming the next Eric Lindros or Marc Savard when he could have 15 years or more of hockey left in front of him?
Anyway, there’s still no time table for Crosby’s return. We’ll let you know if the team releases any more conclusive information regarding his concussion situation.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 32
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 38
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening