Mar 3, 2011, 1:44 PM EST
Forgive us for sounding like broken records, but the latest news on Sidney Crosby is that – while coach Dan Bylsma says he’s “getting better” – there really hasn’t been much tangible progress for the Pittsburgh Penguins’ concussed star.
He could be back in a month, deep into the playoffs or possibly not again until the 2011-12 season.
That’s the nature of the beast with concussions, but give the Penguins credit. A less patient team might try to rush him back, but the franchise seems to understand the importance of protecting his health. Besides, with Evgeni Malkin out for the season, the team’s ceiling is lower anyway. So why run the risk of the 23-year-old center becoming the next Eric Lindros or Marc Savard when he could have 15 years or more of hockey left in front of him?
Anyway, there’s still no time table for Crosby’s return. We’ll let you know if the team releases any more conclusive information regarding his concussion situation.
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 84
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 7
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (84)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)