Mar 3, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
While then-rookie Tyler Myers was last season’s biggest surprise among first-year defenseman, offensive blueliner Michael Del Zotto wasn’t far behind. Although his -20 rating in 2009-10 indicated that he had a lot to learn, he still produced an impressive nine-goal, 28-assist season for the New York Rangers.
Call it a sophomore slump or just reality setting in after a dream season, but this season hasn’t been nearly as promising for the high-risk, high-reward defenseman. After playing in all but two of the team’s games last year, Del Zotto only appeared in 47 games with the big club, as injuries and two demotions to the AHL indicated that he has some serious room for improvement.
Things are going to get a little tougher for Del Zotto, as Steve Zipay reports that he will be sidelined for four to six weeks after fracturing a finger during a game with the AHL’s Connecticut Whale.
It seems like his confidence might be shaken after a rough season, so perhaps the time off will give him time to get his mind right. Giving up on him now would be pretty silly, considering how young he is (20 years old) and his considerable offensive upside.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (81)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games