Mar 3, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Nowadays when a game goes to overtime, we start preparing ourselves for the possibility of the shootout happening. Last night’s Anaheim-Detroit game showed us that we can get a penalty shot without going to the shootout.
In overtime, Anaheim’s Bobby Ryan was hooked on a breakaway by Ruslan Salei and awarded a penalty shot. Surely we can debate whether or not it was enough of a hook to earn that call (especially in overtime) but referee Steve Kozari saw enough for him to award the penalty shot. Detroit goalie, as you’ll see in the video, didn’t appreciate the goal and spent the time before Ryan’s game-winning attempt having words with the official nearest him both before and after the goal.
For Ryan it was his first career penalty shot and penalty shot goal and it was enough to help Anaheim stay in the mix for the playoffs out West.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)