Mar 3, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Nowadays when a game goes to overtime, we start preparing ourselves for the possibility of the shootout happening. Last night’s Anaheim-Detroit game showed us that we can get a penalty shot without going to the shootout.
In overtime, Anaheim’s Bobby Ryan was hooked on a breakaway by Ruslan Salei and awarded a penalty shot. Surely we can debate whether or not it was enough of a hook to earn that call (especially in overtime) but referee Steve Kozari saw enough for him to award the penalty shot. Detroit goalie, as you’ll see in the video, didn’t appreciate the goal and spent the time before Ryan’s game-winning attempt having words with the official nearest him both before and after the goal.
For Ryan it was his first career penalty shot and penalty shot goal and it was enough to help Anaheim stay in the mix for the playoffs out West.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)