Mar 3, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Nowadays when a game goes to overtime, we start preparing ourselves for the possibility of the shootout happening. Last night’s Anaheim-Detroit game showed us that we can get a penalty shot without going to the shootout.
In overtime, Anaheim’s Bobby Ryan was hooked on a breakaway by Ruslan Salei and awarded a penalty shot. Surely we can debate whether or not it was enough of a hook to earn that call (especially in overtime) but referee Steve Kozari saw enough for him to award the penalty shot. Detroit goalie, as you’ll see in the video, didn’t appreciate the goal and spent the time before Ryan’s game-winning attempt having words with the official nearest him both before and after the goal.
For Ryan it was his first career penalty shot and penalty shot goal and it was enough to help Anaheim stay in the mix for the playoffs out West.
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 1
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)