Mar 3, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Nowadays when a game goes to overtime, we start preparing ourselves for the possibility of the shootout happening. Last night’s Anaheim-Detroit game showed us that we can get a penalty shot without going to the shootout.
In overtime, Anaheim’s Bobby Ryan was hooked on a breakaway by Ruslan Salei and awarded a penalty shot. Surely we can debate whether or not it was enough of a hook to earn that call (especially in overtime) but referee Steve Kozari saw enough for him to award the penalty shot. Detroit goalie, as you’ll see in the video, didn’t appreciate the goal and spent the time before Ryan’s game-winning attempt having words with the official nearest him both before and after the goal.
For Ryan it was his first career penalty shot and penalty shot goal and it was enough to help Anaheim stay in the mix for the playoffs out West.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)