Mar 3, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Nowadays when a game goes to overtime, we start preparing ourselves for the possibility of the shootout happening. Last night’s Anaheim-Detroit game showed us that we can get a penalty shot without going to the shootout.
In overtime, Anaheim’s Bobby Ryan was hooked on a breakaway by Ruslan Salei and awarded a penalty shot. Surely we can debate whether or not it was enough of a hook to earn that call (especially in overtime) but referee Steve Kozari saw enough for him to award the penalty shot. Detroit goalie, as you’ll see in the video, didn’t appreciate the goal and spent the time before Ryan’s game-winning attempt having words with the official nearest him both before and after the goal.
For Ryan it was his first career penalty shot and penalty shot goal and it was enough to help Anaheim stay in the mix for the playoffs out West.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)