Mar 3, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
While pundits drooled about what his point-per-game potential could bring to a Stanley Cup contending team, I couldn’t help but wonder why so few talking heads discussed just how ridiculously injury prone Edmonton Oilers winger Ales Hemsky is.
Hemsky only played 22 games during the 2009-10 season after a left shoulder injury forced him to undergo surgery. This time around, the slick passer injured his right shoulder thanks to a hit by Nashville Predators rookie defenseman John Blum. The team estimates that he’ll miss two to three weeks with the injury, but on the bright side, coach Tom Renney thinks that “it’s a rotator cuff thing, but it’s not torn.”
He’s already missed 18 games in 10-11 with a litany of chronic injuries.
I used to call Marian Gaborik the Wile E. Coyote of the NHL, but Hemsky might just take his place. Hemsky continues to chase that Road Runner of health, yet misfortune (and a penchant for putting himself in harm’s way) keep leading him to crash head-first into injury traps.
When people discuss injury ravaged players such as the NBA’s Yao Ming, they discuss the notion that some athletes aren’t built for 82-game seasons. Maybe that’s just the sad truth with Hemsky.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 1
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 2
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)