Mar 3, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
While pundits drooled about what his point-per-game potential could bring to a Stanley Cup contending team, I couldn’t help but wonder why so few talking heads discussed just how ridiculously injury prone Edmonton Oilers winger Ales Hemsky is.
Hemsky only played 22 games during the 2009-10 season after a left shoulder injury forced him to undergo surgery. This time around, the slick passer injured his right shoulder thanks to a hit by Nashville Predators rookie defenseman John Blum. The team estimates that he’ll miss two to three weeks with the injury, but on the bright side, coach Tom Renney thinks that “it’s a rotator cuff thing, but it’s not torn.”
He’s already missed 18 games in 10-11 with a litany of chronic injuries.
I used to call Marian Gaborik the Wile E. Coyote of the NHL, but Hemsky might just take his place. Hemsky continues to chase that Road Runner of health, yet misfortune (and a penchant for putting himself in harm’s way) keep leading him to crash head-first into injury traps.
When people discuss injury ravaged players such as the NBA’s Yao Ming, they discuss the notion that some athletes aren’t built for 82-game seasons. Maybe that’s just the sad truth with Hemsky.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)