Mar 2, 2011, 11:22 PM EDT
Heading into the third period of the Penguins game with the Maple Leafs in Toronto, it appeared that things would be going in the right direction for the Peguins as they held a 2-1 lead thanks to goals by Chris Conner and Matt Niskanen. When the third period rolled around, however, it would be Phil Kessel striking back hard for Toronto to tie the game up and force overtime.
In overtime, Mikhail Grabovski would keep the Leafs hopes of cracking the East’s top eight for the playoffs alive scoring the game-winner in the extra session. The Leafs were able to pull within four points of Carolina for the eighth spot in the East. The level of key, clutch play the Leafs have gotten out of Kessel, Grabovski, and Nikolai Kulemin (who had the Leafs first goal tonight) has been huge for the largely two-line team.
Making things stand out even bigger for the Leafs is goalie James Reimer. Reimer made 27 stops in tonight’s win and improved his record on the season to 11-4-3.
For Pittsburgh, their hold on the fourth seed in the East is becoming tenuous as the Capitals are just two points behind them in the standings. Obviously the Penguins road is a bit tougher having to do without Sidney Crosby in the lineup but going up against a motivated Leafs team on the road makes for the brand of game they won’t like to play much more often than they’ve gotten to lately. They’ve still got five points on Montreal in sixth place, but unless they can string wins together more often than not, their hold on home ice in the first round might be disappearing.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)