Mar 2, 2011, 1:22 AM EDT
For a recap of the first six games, click here. Let’s take a look at what happened in Tuesday’s four late contests.
It was a wild finish in Phoenix. The Coyotes emptied the net and Ray Whitney tied the game at 2-2 with about 38 seconds left in the game, but the team took a costly penalty 25 seconds later. This opened the door for Jamie Benn to slam home the game-winning goal on the man advantage with only five seconds left, earning the suddenly streaking Stars their third win in a row. On the bright side, Rostislav Klesla scored a goal in his first goal as a ‘Yotes defenseman.
Dallas now shares an identical 34-23-6 record with the Chicago Blackhawks for seventh place in the West while Phoenix remains in fourth place with 76 points despite a disturbing four game skid.
It’s been a strange season for Martin Gerber, as he’s played pretty well in the rare instances when he’s not stuck in the minors. He made 34 saves to help the Oilers spoil things for the Predators, although Linus Omark‘s latest shootout shenanigans will likely steal the headlines. Blake Geoffrion made his legendary made his Hall of Fame family members proud tonight, scoring his first career NHL goal.
Newly-rich goalie Antti Niemi earned his 24th win with an 18-save effort, but Brian Elliot was outstanding in a losing effort, stopping 34 out of 35 shots. The Sharks have won seven games in a row and now hold a six-point lead in the Pacific Division.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)