Mar 2, 2011, 1:57 PM EDT
When Michael Grabner dominated the fastest skater competition during the 2011 NHL All-Star Game, it seemed like one of those moments when an obscure NBA player does well during a dunking contest. Sure, he’s fast, but what else can he do?
Well, he can win the Rookie of the Month award, for one thing.
The speedy Islanders winger lead all rookies in February with 16 points on the strength of 10 goals and six assists. He pretty much won the award thanks to a ridiculous stretch from February 5-15th when he scored all 10 of his goals and also provided three of his six assists in six games. Grabner scored at least one goal in that six-game span.
Here’s a list of the 2010-11 monthly winners so far from NHL.com.
The 23-year-old Villach, Austria native joins goaltender Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), the Sharks’ Couture (December) and forward Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) as Rookie of the Month winners this season.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 1
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)