Mar 2, 2011, 1:57 PM EST
When Michael Grabner dominated the fastest skater competition during the 2011 NHL All-Star Game, it seemed like one of those moments when an obscure NBA player does well during a dunking contest. Sure, he’s fast, but what else can he do?
Well, he can win the Rookie of the Month award, for one thing.
The speedy Islanders winger lead all rookies in February with 16 points on the strength of 10 goals and six assists. He pretty much won the award thanks to a ridiculous stretch from February 5-15th when he scored all 10 of his goals and also provided three of his six assists in six games. Grabner scored at least one goal in that six-game span.
Here’s a list of the 2010-11 monthly winners so far from NHL.com.
The 23-year-old Villach, Austria native joins goaltender Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), the Sharks’ Couture (December) and forward Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) as Rookie of the Month winners this season.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)