Mar 2, 2011, 1:57 PM EDT
When Michael Grabner dominated the fastest skater competition during the 2011 NHL All-Star Game, it seemed like one of those moments when an obscure NBA player does well during a dunking contest. Sure, he’s fast, but what else can he do?
Well, he can win the Rookie of the Month award, for one thing.
The speedy Islanders winger lead all rookies in February with 16 points on the strength of 10 goals and six assists. He pretty much won the award thanks to a ridiculous stretch from February 5-15th when he scored all 10 of his goals and also provided three of his six assists in six games. Grabner scored at least one goal in that six-game span.
Here’s a list of the 2010-11 monthly winners so far from NHL.com.
The 23-year-old Villach, Austria native joins goaltender Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), the Sharks’ Couture (December) and forward Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) as Rookie of the Month winners this season.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)