Mar 2, 2011, 1:57 PM EDT
When Michael Grabner dominated the fastest skater competition during the 2011 NHL All-Star Game, it seemed like one of those moments when an obscure NBA player does well during a dunking contest. Sure, he’s fast, but what else can he do?
Well, he can win the Rookie of the Month award, for one thing.
The speedy Islanders winger lead all rookies in February with 16 points on the strength of 10 goals and six assists. He pretty much won the award thanks to a ridiculous stretch from February 5-15th when he scored all 10 of his goals and also provided three of his six assists in six games. Grabner scored at least one goal in that six-game span.
Here’s a list of the 2010-11 monthly winners so far from NHL.com.
The 23-year-old Villach, Austria native joins goaltender Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), the Sharks’ Couture (December) and forward Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) as Rookie of the Month winners this season.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)