Mar 2, 2011, 1:57 PM EDT
When Michael Grabner dominated the fastest skater competition during the 2011 NHL All-Star Game, it seemed like one of those moments when an obscure NBA player does well during a dunking contest. Sure, he’s fast, but what else can he do?
Well, he can win the Rookie of the Month award, for one thing.
The speedy Islanders winger lead all rookies in February with 16 points on the strength of 10 goals and six assists. He pretty much won the award thanks to a ridiculous stretch from February 5-15th when he scored all 10 of his goals and also provided three of his six assists in six games. Grabner scored at least one goal in that six-game span.
Here’s a list of the 2010-11 monthly winners so far from NHL.com.
The 23-year-old Villach, Austria native joins goaltender Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), the Sharks’ Couture (December) and forward Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) as Rookie of the Month winners this season.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5