Mar 2, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT
Every week, we’ll provide updates for each division. The biggest contenders and/or closest races will receive the greatest amount of attention.
Bold = playoff contender; Italics = likely lottery fodder.
Atlantic Division outlook (March 2 -March 8th)
1. Philadelphia Flyers (40-16-6 for 86 pts; 62 Games Played)
Current streak: One loss.
Week ahead: Home vs. Toronto (Thursday), Buffalo (Saturday), @ Rangers (Sunday) and Oilers (Tuesday).
2. Pittsburgh Penguins (37-21-6 for 80 pts; 64 GP)
Current streak: One win.
Week ahead: Three away games – vs. Toronto (Wed), New Jersey (Fri), Boston (Sat) and one game at Buffalo (Tues).
Thoughts: The Penguins might be at risk of losing the fourth seed to the Washington Capitals. A tough next four games won’t help that.
3. New York Rangers (33-28-4 for 70 pts; 65 GP)
Current streak: Two losses.
Week ahead: Home vs. Minnesota (Thurs), @ Ottawa (Fri), home vs. Philadelphia (Sun).
Thoughts: At this point, the Rangers have fallen enough that the Hurricanes aren’t the only team in the top eight who might lose their spot to one of the bubble teams. They’re only three points ahead of the Sabres after losing to them on Tuesday.
4. New Jersey Devils (27-31-4 for 58 pts; 62 GP)
Current streak: One win.
Week ahead: Home vs. Tampa Bay (Wed), home vs. Pittsburgh (Fri), Islanders (Sun) and home vs. Ottawa (Tues).
Thoughts: Things aren’t looking very bright for the Devils right now, so they need to make the most of this week.
5. New York Islanders (23-32-9 for 55 pts; 64 GP)
Current streak: Four losses in a row.
Week ahead: Four home games – against Minnesota (Wed), St. Louis (Sat), New Jersey (Sun) and Toronto (Tues).
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 19
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)