Mar 1, 2011, 5:16 PM EST
Things happen in the NHL sometimes and you have to be prepared. In the case of the Montreal Canadiens, their wont to get deeper on defense was confirmed today when Jaroslav Spacek met with world famous doctor to the athletes Dr. James Andrews and found out he’ll need arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and miss 4-6 weeks.
Spacek has been steady on the Habs blue line and a solid veteran contributor. To make up for the loss of Spacek and to fill their own needs from within by acquiring Paul Mara from Anaheim and Brent Sopel from Atlanta. Those two guys are all about straight defense in their game and Sopel made a name for himself in the Stanley Cup playoffs last year as a shot blocker extraordinaire for the Blackhawks.
Spacek has better abilities to move the puck than either Mara or Sopel, but with the added toughness to the Habs blue line, expect the already frustrating Canadiens to be even more annoying to deal with while Spacek is out.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)