Mar 1, 2011, 5:16 PM EST
Things happen in the NHL sometimes and you have to be prepared. In the case of the Montreal Canadiens, their wont to get deeper on defense was confirmed today when Jaroslav Spacek met with world famous doctor to the athletes Dr. James Andrews and found out he’ll need arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and miss 4-6 weeks.
Spacek has been steady on the Habs blue line and a solid veteran contributor. To make up for the loss of Spacek and to fill their own needs from within by acquiring Paul Mara from Anaheim and Brent Sopel from Atlanta. Those two guys are all about straight defense in their game and Sopel made a name for himself in the Stanley Cup playoffs last year as a shot blocker extraordinaire for the Blackhawks.
Spacek has better abilities to move the puck than either Mara or Sopel, but with the added toughness to the Habs blue line, expect the already frustrating Canadiens to be even more annoying to deal with while Spacek is out.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 63
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (69)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)