Mar 1, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Things happen in the NHL sometimes and you have to be prepared. In the case of the Montreal Canadiens, their wont to get deeper on defense was confirmed today when Jaroslav Spacek met with world famous doctor to the athletes Dr. James Andrews and found out he’ll need arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and miss 4-6 weeks.
Spacek has been steady on the Habs blue line and a solid veteran contributor. To make up for the loss of Spacek and to fill their own needs from within by acquiring Paul Mara from Anaheim and Brent Sopel from Atlanta. Those two guys are all about straight defense in their game and Sopel made a name for himself in the Stanley Cup playoffs last year as a shot blocker extraordinaire for the Blackhawks.
Spacek has better abilities to move the puck than either Mara or Sopel, but with the added toughness to the Habs blue line, expect the already frustrating Canadiens to be even more annoying to deal with while Spacek is out.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)