Mar 1, 2011, 12:52 AM EST
The Blackhawks just keep streaking along. They made it five wins in a row tonight all while playing without Jordan Hendry and waiting on Chris Campoli to arrive from Ottawa after acquiring him this afternoon before the trade deadline.
Jonathan Toews kept his stellar play of late rolling along with a goal and two assists to lead Chicago tonight. The Blackhawks captain has 21 points in his last 13 games. It’s no coincidence that the Hawks are 8-3-2 in those games. Patrick Sharp scored his 33rd goal of the year while Marian Hossa added his 16th. Tomas Kopecky scored his 12th of the year.
For Chicago, the win vaults them up the standings and into a fifth place tie with Los Angeles. Minnesota, meanwhile, stays tied with Dallas and Nashville in the West for seventh place. Just imagine if these tight standings keep up the rest of the way through the season.
Martin Havlat and Brent Burns each scored for the Wild. For Havlat it was his 20th goal of the year and for Burns his 16th. With Mikko Koivu out with a broken finger, these two are doing their best to keep the offense going for the Wild. Tonight it was just the case of running into a hotter team.
Corey Crawford saved 24 shots to earn his 22nd win of the year. Niklas Backstrom saved 30 shots in the loss as the Blackhawks kept him busy all night. The hot run by Chicago is precisely the thing they were in need of after falling back in the West race. It’s also proof that all any team in the playoff hunt in the West needs to do to get locked into a spot in the playoffs is to get hot at the right time.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)