Mar 1, 2011, 1:59 AM EDT
The score helps make it look like a classic 1980s firewagon hockey special, but truth be told, this was a Wings butt whooping. The Kings came into tonight’s game ready to take over after the trade deadline after making arguably the day’s biggest splash acquiring scoring power forward Dustin Penner from Edmonton. What happens off the ice doesn’t always translate into success on it though as the Wings got ahead 7-1 in this game before the Kings made it look respectable in the final eight minutes, losing to Detroit 7-4.
Drew Miller scored two goals while Darren Helm and Jiri Hudler each had a goal and an assist for the Wings as they won this one going away snapping the Kings’ three game win streak. Jon Quick was chased from the game after giving up six goals and making 18 saves in his two and a half periods of work. Jonathan Bernier stopped two out of three shots he saw.
The Wings’ dominating performance was slightly derailed late in the third when Dustin Brown, Wayne Simmonds, and Brad Richardson added goals in the final eight minutes of the game to cut the Detroit lead to 7-4. Time eventually ran out though and Jimmy Howard closed the game with 35 saves. Richardson had a goal and an assist for L.A. while Anze Kopitar had two assists.
The loss for L.A. officially puts them in sixth place in the West. They’ve got as many points as Chicago with 74, but Chicago has the tiebreaker on them for the moment. For Detroit, the win makes them 2-0-0 on their five game road trip so far with a date against the Ducks coming up on Wednesday night.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal