Mar 1, 2011, 1:59 AM EDT
The score helps make it look like a classic 1980s firewagon hockey special, but truth be told, this was a Wings butt whooping. The Kings came into tonight’s game ready to take over after the trade deadline after making arguably the day’s biggest splash acquiring scoring power forward Dustin Penner from Edmonton. What happens off the ice doesn’t always translate into success on it though as the Wings got ahead 7-1 in this game before the Kings made it look respectable in the final eight minutes, losing to Detroit 7-4.
Drew Miller scored two goals while Darren Helm and Jiri Hudler each had a goal and an assist for the Wings as they won this one going away snapping the Kings’ three game win streak. Jon Quick was chased from the game after giving up six goals and making 18 saves in his two and a half periods of work. Jonathan Bernier stopped two out of three shots he saw.
The Wings’ dominating performance was slightly derailed late in the third when Dustin Brown, Wayne Simmonds, and Brad Richardson added goals in the final eight minutes of the game to cut the Detroit lead to 7-4. Time eventually ran out though and Jimmy Howard closed the game with 35 saves. Richardson had a goal and an assist for L.A. while Anze Kopitar had two assists.
The loss for L.A. officially puts them in sixth place in the West. They’ve got as many points as Chicago with 74, but Chicago has the tiebreaker on them for the moment. For Detroit, the win makes them 2-0-0 on their five game road trip so far with a date against the Ducks coming up on Wednesday night.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)