Feb 28, 2011, 2:50 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
When Dwayne Roloson was stuck with the New York Islanders, he was putting up decent numbers save for one category: wins. Now it seems like his stats might suffer (91.6 save percentage down to 90.6), but he’s getting those wins at a much higher rate. In fact, in 19 games with Tampa Bay, he already has twice as many wins (12 to 6) as he had in 20 with the Isles.
The aging goalie seems to be on a feast or famine regimen of good games and bad ones. Lately he’s been a beast, only allowing two goals on 43 shots in his last two starts. Roloson and the Lightning also boast a three-game winning streak.
If the playoffs began today, it would be Lightning (currently second) vs. the Rangers (currently seventh). While I think Tampa Bay might be the high seed most likely to lose a first round series, it wouldn’t likely come against New York, at least if the regular season is a solid indicator. That’s because the Lightning swept the two teams’ season series.
Anyway, it might not be the most spectacular stop ever, but Roloson’s saved preserved the Lightning’s late lead to win another game against their former coach.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 53
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 85
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control