Feb 28, 2011, 2:50 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
When Dwayne Roloson was stuck with the New York Islanders, he was putting up decent numbers save for one category: wins. Now it seems like his stats might suffer (91.6 save percentage down to 90.6), but he’s getting those wins at a much higher rate. In fact, in 19 games with Tampa Bay, he already has twice as many wins (12 to 6) as he had in 20 with the Isles.
The aging goalie seems to be on a feast or famine regimen of good games and bad ones. Lately he’s been a beast, only allowing two goals on 43 shots in his last two starts. Roloson and the Lightning also boast a three-game winning streak.
If the playoffs began today, it would be Lightning (currently second) vs. the Rangers (currently seventh). While I think Tampa Bay might be the high seed most likely to lose a first round series, it wouldn’t likely come against New York, at least if the regular season is a solid indicator. That’s because the Lightning swept the two teams’ season series.
Anyway, it might not be the most spectacular stop ever, but Roloson’s saved preserved the Lightning’s late lead to win another game against their former coach.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)