Feb 28, 2011, 2:50 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
When Dwayne Roloson was stuck with the New York Islanders, he was putting up decent numbers save for one category: wins. Now it seems like his stats might suffer (91.6 save percentage down to 90.6), but he’s getting those wins at a much higher rate. In fact, in 19 games with Tampa Bay, he already has twice as many wins (12 to 6) as he had in 20 with the Isles.
The aging goalie seems to be on a feast or famine regimen of good games and bad ones. Lately he’s been a beast, only allowing two goals on 43 shots in his last two starts. Roloson and the Lightning also boast a three-game winning streak.
If the playoffs began today, it would be Lightning (currently second) vs. the Rangers (currently seventh). While I think Tampa Bay might be the high seed most likely to lose a first round series, it wouldn’t likely come against New York, at least if the regular season is a solid indicator. That’s because the Lightning swept the two teams’ season series.
Anyway, it might not be the most spectacular stop ever, but Roloson’s saved preserved the Lightning’s late lead to win another game against their former coach.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)