Feb 28, 2011, 10:37 AM EDT
While Bryan McCabe‘s trade value isn’t in the same ballpark (stratosphere?) as Brad Richards, they have at least one thing in common: both players would only waive their no-trade clauses for the New York Rangers. (At least if Darren Dreger’s “guess” regarding Richards’ preference is correct.*)
In the case of McCabe, that must have limited his trade value, as the Florida Panthers were only able to acquire Tim Kennedy and a third round pick in the deal. Reports indicate that the Dallas Stars are still asking for too much in exchange for Richards, making the trade possibility “less than .500.”
Much like the New York Knicks’ courtship of Carmelo Anthony during the NBA’s trade deadline, the big question is: if Richards wants to play in New York, then why give up a bunch now when they can grab him in free agency without losing any roster assets?
We’ll definitely keep you updated regarding all the big (and most of the small) trade news from today’s frenzy, which might or might not include a big Richards trade.
* – Obviously, it makes sense that Richards might want to play in the fishbowl of New York City with a coach he knows in John Tortorella. I’m a little surprised that he might not include the Tampa Bay Lightning too from a familiarity standpoint, even if Richards might not fit into Steve Yzerman’s vision from a cap perspective.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)