Feb 28, 2011, 10:37 AM EST
While Bryan McCabe‘s trade value isn’t in the same ballpark (stratosphere?) as Brad Richards, they have at least one thing in common: both players would only waive their no-trade clauses for the New York Rangers. (At least if Darren Dreger’s “guess” regarding Richards’ preference is correct.*)
In the case of McCabe, that must have limited his trade value, as the Florida Panthers were only able to acquire Tim Kennedy and a third round pick in the deal. Reports indicate that the Dallas Stars are still asking for too much in exchange for Richards, making the trade possibility “less than .500.”
Much like the New York Knicks’ courtship of Carmelo Anthony during the NBA’s trade deadline, the big question is: if Richards wants to play in New York, then why give up a bunch now when they can grab him in free agency without losing any roster assets?
We’ll definitely keep you updated regarding all the big (and most of the small) trade news from today’s frenzy, which might or might not include a big Richards trade.
* – Obviously, it makes sense that Richards might want to play in the fishbowl of New York City with a coach he knows in John Tortorella. I’m a little surprised that he might not include the Tampa Bay Lightning too from a familiarity standpoint, even if Richards might not fit into Steve Yzerman’s vision from a cap perspective.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 13
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 12
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)