Feb 28, 2011, 10:37 AM EDT
While Bryan McCabe‘s trade value isn’t in the same ballpark (stratosphere?) as Brad Richards, they have at least one thing in common: both players would only waive their no-trade clauses for the New York Rangers. (At least if Darren Dreger’s “guess” regarding Richards’ preference is correct.*)
In the case of McCabe, that must have limited his trade value, as the Florida Panthers were only able to acquire Tim Kennedy and a third round pick in the deal. Reports indicate that the Dallas Stars are still asking for too much in exchange for Richards, making the trade possibility “less than .500.”
Much like the New York Knicks’ courtship of Carmelo Anthony during the NBA’s trade deadline, the big question is: if Richards wants to play in New York, then why give up a bunch now when they can grab him in free agency without losing any roster assets?
We’ll definitely keep you updated regarding all the big (and most of the small) trade news from today’s frenzy, which might or might not include a big Richards trade.
* – Obviously, it makes sense that Richards might want to play in the fishbowl of New York City with a coach he knows in John Tortorella. I’m a little surprised that he might not include the Tampa Bay Lightning too from a familiarity standpoint, even if Richards might not fit into Steve Yzerman’s vision from a cap perspective.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)