Feb 28, 2011, 10:37 AM EDT
While Bryan McCabe‘s trade value isn’t in the same ballpark (stratosphere?) as Brad Richards, they have at least one thing in common: both players would only waive their no-trade clauses for the New York Rangers. (At least if Darren Dreger’s “guess” regarding Richards’ preference is correct.*)
In the case of McCabe, that must have limited his trade value, as the Florida Panthers were only able to acquire Tim Kennedy and a third round pick in the deal. Reports indicate that the Dallas Stars are still asking for too much in exchange for Richards, making the trade possibility “less than .500.”
Much like the New York Knicks’ courtship of Carmelo Anthony during the NBA’s trade deadline, the big question is: if Richards wants to play in New York, then why give up a bunch now when they can grab him in free agency without losing any roster assets?
We’ll definitely keep you updated regarding all the big (and most of the small) trade news from today’s frenzy, which might or might not include a big Richards trade.
* – Obviously, it makes sense that Richards might want to play in the fishbowl of New York City with a coach he knows in John Tortorella. I’m a little surprised that he might not include the Tampa Bay Lightning too from a familiarity standpoint, even if Richards might not fit into Steve Yzerman’s vision from a cap perspective.
- Report: No fine or suspension for Perry’s spear on Benn 0
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 23
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 41
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 57
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 15
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42