Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 PM EST
He might be having some rocky moments this season after a surprising breakthrough year in 2009-10, but the Detroit Red Wings made a commitment to Jimmy Howard today with a two-year contract extension reportedly worth $4.5 million.
On first blush, that’s an awfully cheap deal. Then again, it’s really not that shocking considering the fact that supply is really outweighing demand in the goalie market lately. For now, the days of goalies getting $5 million deals have been put on hold.
Howard will be an affordable starting goalie or 1a/1b fixture for the Red Wings through the 2012-13 season, but the team still will need to make a decision about his backup. Veteran goalie and Hall of Fame debate target Chris Osgood will see his contract expire this summer.
This might be a day about trades, but Detroit might have gotten the biggest “steal” of February 28th with this bargain contract. Especially if Howard looks more like the stud he was last year vs. the still-useful but mainly serviceable goalie he’s been this season.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)