Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 PM EDT
He might be having some rocky moments this season after a surprising breakthrough year in 2009-10, but the Detroit Red Wings made a commitment to Jimmy Howard today with a two-year contract extension reportedly worth $4.5 million.
On first blush, that’s an awfully cheap deal. Then again, it’s really not that shocking considering the fact that supply is really outweighing demand in the goalie market lately. For now, the days of goalies getting $5 million deals have been put on hold.
Howard will be an affordable starting goalie or 1a/1b fixture for the Red Wings through the 2012-13 season, but the team still will need to make a decision about his backup. Veteran goalie and Hall of Fame debate target Chris Osgood will see his contract expire this summer.
This might be a day about trades, but Detroit might have gotten the biggest “steal” of February 28th with this bargain contract. Especially if Howard looks more like the stud he was last year vs. the still-useful but mainly serviceable goalie he’s been this season.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)