Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 PM EST
He might be having some rocky moments this season after a surprising breakthrough year in 2009-10, but the Detroit Red Wings made a commitment to Jimmy Howard today with a two-year contract extension reportedly worth $4.5 million.
On first blush, that’s an awfully cheap deal. Then again, it’s really not that shocking considering the fact that supply is really outweighing demand in the goalie market lately. For now, the days of goalies getting $5 million deals have been put on hold.
Howard will be an affordable starting goalie or 1a/1b fixture for the Red Wings through the 2012-13 season, but the team still will need to make a decision about his backup. Veteran goalie and Hall of Fame debate target Chris Osgood will see his contract expire this summer.
This might be a day about trades, but Detroit might have gotten the biggest “steal” of February 28th with this bargain contract. Especially if Howard looks more like the stud he was last year vs. the still-useful but mainly serviceable goalie he’s been this season.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)