Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 PM EST
He might be having some rocky moments this season after a surprising breakthrough year in 2009-10, but the Detroit Red Wings made a commitment to Jimmy Howard today with a two-year contract extension reportedly worth $4.5 million.
On first blush, that’s an awfully cheap deal. Then again, it’s really not that shocking considering the fact that supply is really outweighing demand in the goalie market lately. For now, the days of goalies getting $5 million deals have been put on hold.
Howard will be an affordable starting goalie or 1a/1b fixture for the Red Wings through the 2012-13 season, but the team still will need to make a decision about his backup. Veteran goalie and Hall of Fame debate target Chris Osgood will see his contract expire this summer.
This might be a day about trades, but Detroit might have gotten the biggest “steal” of February 28th with this bargain contract. Especially if Howard looks more like the stud he was last year vs. the still-useful but mainly serviceable goalie he’s been this season.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)