Feb 28, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT
If the rumors were right, the New York Rangers might have been the only team in the running for Dallas Stars free-agent-to-be Brad Richards. Whatever the case was, they didn’t end up with that prized possession. On the bright side, they did land a center during the trade deadline. Unfortunately, that player is borderline NHLer John Mitchell, whom the Rangers acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs along with an exchange of seventh round draft picks.
All snark aside, the Rangers can look at their inability to land Richards during the trade deadline as a mere bump in the road since the star playmaker will become an unrestricted free agent in the summer. Naturally, it’s not automatic that he’ll end up in the Big Apple, though.
Mitchell is almost certainly just filler. He bounced between the big club and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies this season, scoring two goals and one assist for three points in 23 games with the Maple Leafs. If nothing else, he could be a semi-experienced injury band-aid if needed.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)