Feb 28, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT
If the rumors were right, the New York Rangers might have been the only team in the running for Dallas Stars free-agent-to-be Brad Richards. Whatever the case was, they didn’t end up with that prized possession. On the bright side, they did land a center during the trade deadline. Unfortunately, that player is borderline NHLer John Mitchell, whom the Rangers acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs along with an exchange of seventh round draft picks.
All snark aside, the Rangers can look at their inability to land Richards during the trade deadline as a mere bump in the road since the star playmaker will become an unrestricted free agent in the summer. Naturally, it’s not automatic that he’ll end up in the Big Apple, though.
Mitchell is almost certainly just filler. He bounced between the big club and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies this season, scoring two goals and one assist for three points in 23 games with the Maple Leafs. If nothing else, he could be a semi-experienced injury band-aid if needed.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)