Feb 28, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT
If the rumors were right, the New York Rangers might have been the only team in the running for Dallas Stars free-agent-to-be Brad Richards. Whatever the case was, they didn’t end up with that prized possession. On the bright side, they did land a center during the trade deadline. Unfortunately, that player is borderline NHLer John Mitchell, whom the Rangers acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs along with an exchange of seventh round draft picks.
All snark aside, the Rangers can look at their inability to land Richards during the trade deadline as a mere bump in the road since the star playmaker will become an unrestricted free agent in the summer. Naturally, it’s not automatic that he’ll end up in the Big Apple, though.
Mitchell is almost certainly just filler. He bounced between the big club and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies this season, scoring two goals and one assist for three points in 23 games with the Maple Leafs. If nothing else, he could be a semi-experienced injury band-aid if needed.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)