Feb 28, 2011, 4:25 PM EST
If the rumors were right, the New York Rangers might have been the only team in the running for Dallas Stars free-agent-to-be Brad Richards. Whatever the case was, they didn’t end up with that prized possession. On the bright side, they did land a center during the trade deadline. Unfortunately, that player is borderline NHLer John Mitchell, whom the Rangers acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs along with an exchange of seventh round draft picks.
All snark aside, the Rangers can look at their inability to land Richards during the trade deadline as a mere bump in the road since the star playmaker will become an unrestricted free agent in the summer. Naturally, it’s not automatic that he’ll end up in the Big Apple, though.
Mitchell is almost certainly just filler. He bounced between the big club and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies this season, scoring two goals and one assist for three points in 23 games with the Maple Leafs. If nothing else, he could be a semi-experienced injury band-aid if needed.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)