Feb 28, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
Toronto’s Phil Kessel gets a lot of grief around the NHL. After all he was the last guy picked at the All-Star Game and he’s hated in Boston. This past week, however, he’s been nothing but clutch in Toronto and his four goals and four assists were good enough to lead the league in points for the week and earned him the NHL’s number one star for the week.
Kessel’s output was good enough to lead the Leafs to a 2-0-2 record last week and helped get the Leafs back into the talk as a potential playoff team in the East. Kessel’s been the man for Toronto all year this year leading the team in goals and trailing only Clarke MacArthur in points.
Chicago’s Corey Crawford is continuing to have a huge rookie season and his 3-0-0 record last week with a 1.95 goals against average and .936 save percentage with one shutout were good enough to get him the second star of the week. Crawford’s efforts this year have been huge with Marty Turco not playing well and now he’s been able to get Chicago back into the mix heavily for the playoffs. If he can keep up the stellar play, he might even be able to earn himself a Calder Trophy on top of it all.
Columbus’ Matt Calvert had a breakout week. The Blue Jackets rookie was the NHL’s top goal scorer last week scoring five goals including a hat trick against Phoenix in a 5-2 win. Calvert’s been a pleasant surprise this year for the Jackets and his production is helping them stay close in the playoff race out West.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)