Feb 28, 2011, 2:21 PM EST
The Blackhawks have been a bit thin on depth in defense with losing Nick Boynton to waivers and Jordan Hendry going down with an injury last night. Today they’ve made amends and given themselves a boost by acquiring Chris Campoli and a conditional seventh round pick from Ottawa for Ryan Potulny and a conditional second round pick. (Source)
Campoli is a defensive-ish defenseman who has fallen on hard times in Ottawa. The Senators weren’t happy with how he’s progressed this year with just three goals and 11 assists this season all while being not as staunch a defender he became expendable. With Chicago’s depth hurting, they became instant buyers and with Campoli’s deal expiring at the end of this season, it’s an ideal move. Campoli will be a restricted free agent at the end of the year.
Chicago giving up a second round pick to make it happen is a bit a steep price considering all thing. That said, it’s a nice way for Ottawa GM Bryan Murray to make the best of what was a bad trade initially considering he gave up a first round pick to the Islanders back in 2009 in the Mike Comrie deal.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 3
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8