Feb 28, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
The Blackhawks have been a bit thin on depth in defense with losing Nick Boynton to waivers and Jordan Hendry going down with an injury last night. Today they’ve made amends and given themselves a boost by acquiring Chris Campoli and a conditional seventh round pick from Ottawa for Ryan Potulny and a conditional second round pick. (Source)
Campoli is a defensive-ish defenseman who has fallen on hard times in Ottawa. The Senators weren’t happy with how he’s progressed this year with just three goals and 11 assists this season all while being not as staunch a defender he became expendable. With Chicago’s depth hurting, they became instant buyers and with Campoli’s deal expiring at the end of this season, it’s an ideal move. Campoli will be a restricted free agent at the end of the year.
Chicago giving up a second round pick to make it happen is a bit a steep price considering all thing. That said, it’s a nice way for Ottawa GM Bryan Murray to make the best of what was a bad trade initially considering he gave up a first round pick to the Islanders back in 2009 in the Mike Comrie deal.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39