Feb 28, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
The Blackhawks have been a bit thin on depth in defense with losing Nick Boynton to waivers and Jordan Hendry going down with an injury last night. Today they’ve made amends and given themselves a boost by acquiring Chris Campoli and a conditional seventh round pick from Ottawa for Ryan Potulny and a conditional second round pick. (Source)
Campoli is a defensive-ish defenseman who has fallen on hard times in Ottawa. The Senators weren’t happy with how he’s progressed this year with just three goals and 11 assists this season all while being not as staunch a defender he became expendable. With Chicago’s depth hurting, they became instant buyers and with Campoli’s deal expiring at the end of this season, it’s an ideal move. Campoli will be a restricted free agent at the end of the year.
Chicago giving up a second round pick to make it happen is a bit a steep price considering all thing. That said, it’s a nice way for Ottawa GM Bryan Murray to make the best of what was a bad trade initially considering he gave up a first round pick to the Islanders back in 2009 in the Mike Comrie deal.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 15
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17