Feb 28, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
The Blackhawks have been a bit thin on depth in defense with losing Nick Boynton to waivers and Jordan Hendry going down with an injury last night. Today they’ve made amends and given themselves a boost by acquiring Chris Campoli and a conditional seventh round pick from Ottawa for Ryan Potulny and a conditional second round pick. (Source)
Campoli is a defensive-ish defenseman who has fallen on hard times in Ottawa. The Senators weren’t happy with how he’s progressed this year with just three goals and 11 assists this season all while being not as staunch a defender he became expendable. With Chicago’s depth hurting, they became instant buyers and with Campoli’s deal expiring at the end of this season, it’s an ideal move. Campoli will be a restricted free agent at the end of the year.
Chicago giving up a second round pick to make it happen is a bit a steep price considering all thing. That said, it’s a nice way for Ottawa GM Bryan Murray to make the best of what was a bad trade initially considering he gave up a first round pick to the Islanders back in 2009 in the Mike Comrie deal.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5