Feb 28, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
Obviously, this non-move unleashes a host of questions from both long-term and short-term perspectives. Will Richards be able to return from his concussion issues to help the Stars make sure they make the playoffs? Can the team make a legitimate playoff run and find a new owner to entice him to stay? Or will he bolt for New York, Toronto or some other sexy location?
While many have been negative regarding the lack of a trade, there are two things that must be noted. One is fairly obvious: it’s not outrageous to suggest that the Stars might be able to figure things out by July and retain Richards. If not, there’s one possibility that people overlook: what if the Stars did a sign-and-trade deal? Sure, they probably wouldn’t get the same kind of haul that they would during the deadline, but that option would allow the team to make a crucial playoff run to draw back fans and then get at least something back. After all, a team like the Rangers or Maple Leafs might pay a moderate premium to avoid an auction for Richards.
In an ideal world, the Stars would find new owners and Richards would play without a concussive fog, leaving everyone in a position of strength going into the summer. Reality is likely to complicate matters, so we’ll be there to highlight the bumps in the road and the silver linings alike.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (81)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)