Feb 28, 2011, 12:24 PM EDT
With the trade deadline (and, oddly enough, some big contract extensions) stealing all the headlines, it’s easy to forget that the NHL still had its typical noon deadline for waiver wire claims. Here’s a rundown of who was picked up and who cleared waivers.
Brett Carson was claimed by the Calgary Flames from the Carolina Hurricanes.
Curtis McElhinney is now in the Ottawa Senators system via the Tampa Bay Lightning. In a nod to Vesa Toskala last season, McElhinney went through the Lightning system without playing a game after being traded much like Toskala never played a game for the Anaheim Ducks in a similar situation.
Rob Schremp was claimed by the Atlanta Thrashers from the New York Islanders. This amuses me because his name sounds sort of like “shrimp” and Thrashers GM Rick Dudley is known for liking bigger players. Hard-hitting analysis, I know.
Now for the players who cleared waivers: First, let’s start with the goalies, both Ty Conklin (St. Louis) and Pascal Leclaire (Ottawa) cleared waivers. Moving on, Nathan Lawson (Islanders), D.J. King (Washington), Tim Stapleton (Atlanta) and Jason Jaffray (Anaheim) were the skaters.
One surprise there is Conklin, who might be on a downward slope but is a cheap, experienced backup who could be an asset for a team like the Buffalo Sabres. Would you rather lean on Conkblock on occasion or roll the dice with hapless Sabres No.2 guy Patrick Lalime? Just saying.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)