Feb 28, 2011, 12:24 PM EDT
With the trade deadline (and, oddly enough, some big contract extensions) stealing all the headlines, it’s easy to forget that the NHL still had its typical noon deadline for waiver wire claims. Here’s a rundown of who was picked up and who cleared waivers.
Brett Carson was claimed by the Calgary Flames from the Carolina Hurricanes.
Curtis McElhinney is now in the Ottawa Senators system via the Tampa Bay Lightning. In a nod to Vesa Toskala last season, McElhinney went through the Lightning system without playing a game after being traded much like Toskala never played a game for the Anaheim Ducks in a similar situation.
Rob Schremp was claimed by the Atlanta Thrashers from the New York Islanders. This amuses me because his name sounds sort of like “shrimp” and Thrashers GM Rick Dudley is known for liking bigger players. Hard-hitting analysis, I know.
Now for the players who cleared waivers: First, let’s start with the goalies, both Ty Conklin (St. Louis) and Pascal Leclaire (Ottawa) cleared waivers. Moving on, Nathan Lawson (Islanders), D.J. King (Washington), Tim Stapleton (Atlanta) and Jason Jaffray (Anaheim) were the skaters.
One surprise there is Conklin, who might be on a downward slope but is a cheap, experienced backup who could be an asset for a team like the Buffalo Sabres. Would you rather lean on Conkblock on occasion or roll the dice with hapless Sabres No.2 guy Patrick Lalime? Just saying.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)