Feb 28, 2011, 2:01 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes sent speedy but hot-and-cold forward Sergei Samsonov to the Florida Panthers in exchange for big defenseman Bryan Allen this afternoon. There have been an interesting amount of inner-Southeast Division trades in the last couple weeks and this most recent move fits into that larger story.
Samsonov’s contract ($2.53 million cap hit) expires after this season while Allen’s $2.9 million cap hit will continue through the 2011-12 campaign, so the Panthers added even more salary cap flexibility to new GM Dale Tallon’s rebuilding mode. Meanwhile, the Hurricanes get a big defenseman (Allen is listed at 6’4″ and 220 lbs.) who can help them win some tough turf battles as the team tries to hang onto an Eastern Conference playoff spot.
Ultimately, this is most likely a “salary dump” for the Panthers while the Canes are making a minor tweak to one of their weak spots along the blueline. That’s not a bad deal for either sides, since the two teams are in very different situations.
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 16
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 24
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)