Feb 28, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes sent speedy but hot-and-cold forward Sergei Samsonov to the Florida Panthers in exchange for big defenseman Bryan Allen this afternoon. There have been an interesting amount of inner-Southeast Division trades in the last couple weeks and this most recent move fits into that larger story.
Samsonov’s contract ($2.53 million cap hit) expires after this season while Allen’s $2.9 million cap hit will continue through the 2011-12 campaign, so the Panthers added even more salary cap flexibility to new GM Dale Tallon’s rebuilding mode. Meanwhile, the Hurricanes get a big defenseman (Allen is listed at 6’4″ and 220 lbs.) who can help them win some tough turf battles as the team tries to hang onto an Eastern Conference playoff spot.
Ultimately, this is most likely a “salary dump” for the Panthers while the Canes are making a minor tweak to one of their weak spots along the blueline. That’s not a bad deal for either sides, since the two teams are in very different situations.
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 0
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)