Feb 28, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes sent speedy but hot-and-cold forward Sergei Samsonov to the Florida Panthers in exchange for big defenseman Bryan Allen this afternoon. There have been an interesting amount of inner-Southeast Division trades in the last couple weeks and this most recent move fits into that larger story.
Samsonov’s contract ($2.53 million cap hit) expires after this season while Allen’s $2.9 million cap hit will continue through the 2011-12 campaign, so the Panthers added even more salary cap flexibility to new GM Dale Tallon’s rebuilding mode. Meanwhile, the Hurricanes get a big defenseman (Allen is listed at 6’4″ and 220 lbs.) who can help them win some tough turf battles as the team tries to hang onto an Eastern Conference playoff spot.
Ultimately, this is most likely a “salary dump” for the Panthers while the Canes are making a minor tweak to one of their weak spots along the blueline. That’s not a bad deal for either sides, since the two teams are in very different situations.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)