Feb 28, 2011, 1:13 PM EST
Columbus gets a pair of guys that will plug in instantly and give them depth at forward in Upshall and more offensive skill along the blue line in Lepisto. Columbus also gets roster flexibility after the season as Upshall will be an unrestricted free agent after the season and Lepisto will be a restricted free agent.
For Phoenix, they add a defensively tough blue liner in Klesla. Klesla’s bugaboo over his career has been his health as injuries have always nagged at him. Klesla is locked up for three more years at nearly $3 million a year. At three goals and seven assists, Klesla isn’t a point getter but he’ll make the Coyotes defense stronger.
The odd twist in this deal is that Scottie Upshall just last night took to Twitter to say how much he loved playing hockey in Phoenix and about how much the area deserves the team and that prospective owner Matthew Hulsizer is the right guy for the team. Now he’s on his way out of town. Did Upshall have the sense he was going to be dealt or is this just some brutal timing on everyone’s part? Either way, it looks and feels awkward all around. Now Upshall will look to do what he can to help the Jackets get in the playoffs.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 0
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 6
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 54
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 76
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)