Feb 28, 2011, 3:56 PM EST
Earlier in the day we talked about how Caps GM George McPhee was able to get part of his wish list filled acquiring Dennis Wideman for the blue line. Now he’s got the second line center he’s been in search of after acquiring Jason Arnott from New Jersey in exchange for David Steckel and a 2012 second round pick. (Source)
Arnott gives the Capitals a big body center who can play much more effectively on the second line than either Mathieu Perreault or Marcus Johansson and he gives the Caps a guy with postseason experience as well. Arnott’s ability to be physical and score goals will help them out. This year in New Jersey, Arnott has been hot and cold and mostly cold of late having not scored a goal in ten games and only has one point in that time. Arnott is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.
Steckel is most known for being the guy that took Sidney Crosby‘s head off at the 2011 Winter Classic. He’s a checking center with a prowess for winning face offs. He’s signed through the next two years at a cap hit of $1.1 million. He’ll help New Jersey be even more grinder-like up the middle as well as giving them an ace guy on faceoffs.
If Arnott can snap out of his goal funk and fit right in with the likes of Alex Semin and Brooks Laich on Washington’s second line, it’s a huge win for Washington. If he continues to slump, he’ll fit right in with the rest of the team whose been slumping offensively and cause fans and management to grow even more frustrated in Washington. It was a move McPhee had to make to try and help improve the team, but it’s tough to be sold on whether or not this is the “the” move to help them get better.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)