Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 PM EDT
The Capitals headed into deadline day with a pair of needs. They were looking for defensive help on the blue line and for possibly a second line center. You can check off the defensive issue now for Washington as they’ve acquired defenseman Dennis Wideman from Florida for prospect Jake Hauswirth and a 2011 third round pick.
Wideman’s more of an offensive defenseman and with nine goals and 24 assists this year, his point totals are nice and should be a boost to the Caps offense that needs something, anything to get them going. The one catch with Wideman is his defensive prowess. While teamed up with Zdeno Chara in Boston two years ago, he put up a robust +32 plus/minus rating. This year with a mostly miserable Panthers team he’s a -26. Last year in Boston he was a -14.
Wideman’s point production is solid and two years ago he put up 50 points from the blue line. Bringing him to a team with legitimate offensive weapons should help boost his numbers and if he can help unlock the Caps offense from the stagnant quagmire they’ve been in all year, that’s all the better for Washington.
With the blue line taken care of now, the Caps will set their eyes on improving their forward corps at center before 3 p.m. ET.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 50
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 19
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 20
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 101
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead