Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 PM EDT
The Capitals headed into deadline day with a pair of needs. They were looking for defensive help on the blue line and for possibly a second line center. You can check off the defensive issue now for Washington as they’ve acquired defenseman Dennis Wideman from Florida for prospect Jake Hauswirth and a 2011 third round pick.
Wideman’s more of an offensive defenseman and with nine goals and 24 assists this year, his point totals are nice and should be a boost to the Caps offense that needs something, anything to get them going. The one catch with Wideman is his defensive prowess. While teamed up with Zdeno Chara in Boston two years ago, he put up a robust +32 plus/minus rating. This year with a mostly miserable Panthers team he’s a -26. Last year in Boston he was a -14.
Wideman’s point production is solid and two years ago he put up 50 points from the blue line. Bringing him to a team with legitimate offensive weapons should help boost his numbers and if he can help unlock the Caps offense from the stagnant quagmire they’ve been in all year, that’s all the better for Washington.
With the blue line taken care of now, the Caps will set their eyes on improving their forward corps at center before 3 p.m. ET.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (91)