Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 PM EDT
The Capitals headed into deadline day with a pair of needs. They were looking for defensive help on the blue line and for possibly a second line center. You can check off the defensive issue now for Washington as they’ve acquired defenseman Dennis Wideman from Florida for prospect Jake Hauswirth and a 2011 third round pick.
Wideman’s more of an offensive defenseman and with nine goals and 24 assists this year, his point totals are nice and should be a boost to the Caps offense that needs something, anything to get them going. The one catch with Wideman is his defensive prowess. While teamed up with Zdeno Chara in Boston two years ago, he put up a robust +32 plus/minus rating. This year with a mostly miserable Panthers team he’s a -26. Last year in Boston he was a -14.
Wideman’s point production is solid and two years ago he put up 50 points from the blue line. Bringing him to a team with legitimate offensive weapons should help boost his numbers and if he can help unlock the Caps offense from the stagnant quagmire they’ve been in all year, that’s all the better for Washington.
With the blue line taken care of now, the Caps will set their eyes on improving their forward corps at center before 3 p.m. ET.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 2
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)