Feb 28, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Flames GM Jay Feaster dug into his old Rolodex when he was GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning and brought back a name from his past in Fredrik Modin. The Flames acquired Modin from Atlanta for a seventh round pick.
Modin is a few years removed from his best seasons with Tampa Bay and Columbus, but he can still be a solid contributor for depth purposes. He’s not a guy that will blow the doors down in Calgary with his offensive output but he’s still got his big slap shot and he’ll be able to give the Flames an option off the bench should they need more of a veteran’s touch.
With how Calgary has performed of late, getting them depth for a potential run in the playoffs is important and for Feaster, getting a guy he knows well and feels comfortable just makes sense.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)