Feb 28, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
With all the wheeling and dealing today before today’s trade deadline, Rangers backup goalie Martin Biron was busy practicing with the team. This turned out to be rather unfortunate timing for the Rangers because Biron went down with a broken collarbone and will be out indefinitely.
Taking Biron’s place on the roster will be youngster Cam Talbot. Talbot hails out of the University of Alabama-Huntsville in the NCAA and he’s been playing in the AHL with the Connecticut Whale this year. Biron getting hurt while the trade deadline comes down and after the waiver period passed when they could’ve grabbed Ty Conklin makes the timing especially poor for New York.
The Rangers will now have to either rely on the young guys in their system or hope that another goalie gets waived if Biron is going to be out for an extended amount of time. With Talbot called up the Rangers also have Chad Johnson in their system but if they’re hoping to give Henrik Lundqvist a break, waiting for someone to hit waivers might be their best bet to acquire a veteran backup. Whether or not they’ll get the opportunity to do that remains to be seen.
- 2015 Jack Adams Award finalists: Hartley, Laviolette, Vigneault 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 14
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 41
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (66)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)