Feb 28, 2011, 5:06 PM EST
With all the wheeling and dealing today before today’s trade deadline, Rangers backup goalie Martin Biron was busy practicing with the team. This turned out to be rather unfortunate timing for the Rangers because Biron went down with a broken collarbone and will be out indefinitely.
Taking Biron’s place on the roster will be youngster Cam Talbot. Talbot hails out of the University of Alabama-Huntsville in the NCAA and he’s been playing in the AHL with the Connecticut Whale this year. Biron getting hurt while the trade deadline comes down and after the waiver period passed when they could’ve grabbed Ty Conklin makes the timing especially poor for New York.
The Rangers will now have to either rely on the young guys in their system or hope that another goalie gets waived if Biron is going to be out for an extended amount of time. With Talbot called up the Rangers also have Chad Johnson in their system but if they’re hoping to give Henrik Lundqvist a break, waiting for someone to hit waivers might be their best bet to acquire a veteran backup. Whether or not they’ll get the opportunity to do that remains to be seen.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)