Feb 28, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
With all the wheeling and dealing today before today’s trade deadline, Rangers backup goalie Martin Biron was busy practicing with the team. This turned out to be rather unfortunate timing for the Rangers because Biron went down with a broken collarbone and will be out indefinitely.
Taking Biron’s place on the roster will be youngster Cam Talbot. Talbot hails out of the University of Alabama-Huntsville in the NCAA and he’s been playing in the AHL with the Connecticut Whale this year. Biron getting hurt while the trade deadline comes down and after the waiver period passed when they could’ve grabbed Ty Conklin makes the timing especially poor for New York.
The Rangers will now have to either rely on the young guys in their system or hope that another goalie gets waived if Biron is going to be out for an extended amount of time. With Talbot called up the Rangers also have Chad Johnson in their system but if they’re hoping to give Henrik Lundqvist a break, waiting for someone to hit waivers might be their best bet to acquire a veteran backup. Whether or not they’ll get the opportunity to do that remains to be seen.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)