Feb 28, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
With all the wheeling and dealing today before today’s trade deadline, Rangers backup goalie Martin Biron was busy practicing with the team. This turned out to be rather unfortunate timing for the Rangers because Biron went down with a broken collarbone and will be out indefinitely.
Taking Biron’s place on the roster will be youngster Cam Talbot. Talbot hails out of the University of Alabama-Huntsville in the NCAA and he’s been playing in the AHL with the Connecticut Whale this year. Biron getting hurt while the trade deadline comes down and after the waiver period passed when they could’ve grabbed Ty Conklin makes the timing especially poor for New York.
The Rangers will now have to either rely on the young guys in their system or hope that another goalie gets waived if Biron is going to be out for an extended amount of time. With Talbot called up the Rangers also have Chad Johnson in their system but if they’re hoping to give Henrik Lundqvist a break, waiting for someone to hit waivers might be their best bet to acquire a veteran backup. Whether or not they’ll get the opportunity to do that remains to be seen.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 133
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 81
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7