Feb 28, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
With all the wheeling and dealing today before today’s trade deadline, Rangers backup goalie Martin Biron was busy practicing with the team. This turned out to be rather unfortunate timing for the Rangers because Biron went down with a broken collarbone and will be out indefinitely.
Taking Biron’s place on the roster will be youngster Cam Talbot. Talbot hails out of the University of Alabama-Huntsville in the NCAA and he’s been playing in the AHL with the Connecticut Whale this year. Biron getting hurt while the trade deadline comes down and after the waiver period passed when they could’ve grabbed Ty Conklin makes the timing especially poor for New York.
The Rangers will now have to either rely on the young guys in their system or hope that another goalie gets waived if Biron is going to be out for an extended amount of time. With Talbot called up the Rangers also have Chad Johnson in their system but if they’re hoping to give Henrik Lundqvist a break, waiting for someone to hit waivers might be their best bet to acquire a veteran backup. Whether or not they’ll get the opportunity to do that remains to be seen.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5