Feb 28, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT
It helps to make a good impression on your new team when you’ve been acquired in a trade. It helps even more when you’re an impending unrestricted free agent. For Atlanta’s Mark Stuart, being brought over in a trade with Boston has paid off handsomely for the veteran defenseman as he’s signed a three-year extension with the team worth $5.1 million. That total works out to a cap hit of $1.7 million over the course of the deal, a very affordable amount for a dependable guy.
Stuart added a lot of character and defensive toughness to a Thrashers blue line that desperately needed a dose of both. With Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay being familiar with Stuart’s abilities from his days in Boston, the fit was a natural one and one that both sides found to be a good one.
Stuart’s numbers won’t blow you away as he’s not a guy that gets lots of points but he will do the little things that don’t get noticed and he’ll occasionally drop the gloves to stick up for his teammates. Every team loves having a guy like that and Atlanta is happy to have him. The fact that the Thrashers have been able to sign so many people to extensions of late (Dustin Byfuglien, GM Rick Dudley) all while the ownership is a mess is a bit of a curious thing. Teams under ownership duress aren’t usually given the go ahead to spend so much on extensions, but here we are.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)