Feb 27, 2011, 10:04 PM EDT
Last year, the Phoenix Coyotes made quite the late-season impression, proving they were more than just a cute Cinderella story during some intense games against the Chicago Blackhawks. This time around, the roles seem slightly reversed, as the Yotes hold a semi-healthy lead in front of the Western Conference bubble pack while the Hawks are fighting for their playoff lives.
The Coyotes and Blackhawks wrestled to a 3-3 tie through regulation and overtime, forcing a shootout. Phoenix came in having won the last three skills competitions between the two teams, so it seemed like the ball was in Dave Tippett’s court.
It was not to be, though, as the ‘Hawks earned their fourth straight win to enter the trade deadline on a high note thanks to the play of their elite captain Jonathan Toews.
Chicago 4, Phoenix 3 (OT)
Toews scored two goals in regulation and the game’s only shootout goal to win a big one for his team. Toews staked the ‘Hawks to a 2-0 first period lead, but Keith Yandle (one goal, one assist) and Ray Whitney (two primary assists) powered a 3-1 Phoenix surge in the second to tie the game 3-3.
Ilya Bryzgalov produced a nice effort in defeat, stopping 38 out of Chicago’s 41 shots. Corey Crawford ended up with his 22nd win of the season by making 25 out of 28 saves and shutting out the Coyotes in the shootout.
This win moves the Blackhawks into a virtual four-way tie with the Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild and Nashville Predators at 72 points. The Stars, Blackhawks and Wild sport matching 33-23-6 records, so each team has a claim for sixth place in the West.
Phoenix is four points ahead of that pack with 76, but they’ve played in two more games and have the same amount of wins (33). They’re still fairly comfortable relatively speaking, although they’ve lost three games in a row now.
Naturally, we’ll keep you updated as both conferences enjoy wild and wacky runs for the last playoff spots.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)