Feb 26, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
For the players who were claimed today, click here.
First, let’s get to the players who were placed on waivers: Goalies highlighted the list, as Ty Conklin (St. Louis), Curtis McElhinney (Tampa Bay) and Pascal Leclaire (Ottawa) were placed on waivers. Other players who were waived include New York Islanders Nathan Lawson and Rob Schremp, Washington Capitals enforcer D.J. King, Brett Carson (Carolina), Tim Stapleton (Atlanta) and Jason Jaffray (Anaheim). (According to two Tweets by Bob McKenzie.)
Notes: It’s not surprising to see the goalie moves, except Conklin. It wouldn’t be shocking if someone picked up the sturdy backup without having to move an asset. Is this a reaction to big Ben Bishop‘s shutout?
Next, here is a look at the players who cleared waivers: Kris Newbury (Rangers), Todd Ford (Washington) and Wade Belak (Nashville) cleared regular waivers while estranged Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Mike Commodore cleared re-entry waivers. (Also according to Bob McKenzie.)
Notes: It was a reasonable gamble for Columbus to place Commodore on re-entry waivers, but no one took the bait. So now what?
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 73
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32