Feb 26, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT
There was a notable amount of activity on the waiver wire this afternoon. To get you up to speed, we will break it down by players who were claimed (this post) and then those who were placed on waivers (the next post).
Marco Sturm claimed by Washington Capitals: I must admit, my first reaction to this was: “Don’t the Capitals realize that Sturm is broken?” Yes, the Caps need a player like Sturm … if he could actually stay on the ice for an extended period of time. Sturm makes Ales Hemsky look like the Cal Ripken Jr. of hockey. The injury prone winger is in the final year of a contract that registers a $3.5 million cap hit, with a little under $810K remaining.
Columbus Blue Jackets pick up Craig Rivet: The Buffalo Sabres were forced to place Rivet on re-entry waivers (and therefore take on half of his salary), but they got rid of their captain-turned-stiff when the Blue Jackets made a claim. This is the second over-the-hill captain waiver addition made by Scott Howson & Co. this season, as he also claimed Ethan Moreau from the Edmonton Oilers. Rivet also has $3.5 million about $810K left on his deal, so both teams will take an approximate $405K hit from this move.
Philadelphia Flyers claim Nick Boynton: Finally, the Flyers made up for the loss of Oskars Bartulis by claiming Boynton from the Chicago Blackhawks. Boynton keeps bouncing around the league but is a cheap, veteran option at $500K for the year or about $116K for the rest of the season.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal