Feb 26, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT
There was a notable amount of activity on the waiver wire this afternoon. To get you up to speed, we will break it down by players who were claimed (this post) and then those who were placed on waivers (the next post).
Marco Sturm claimed by Washington Capitals: I must admit, my first reaction to this was: “Don’t the Capitals realize that Sturm is broken?” Yes, the Caps need a player like Sturm … if he could actually stay on the ice for an extended period of time. Sturm makes Ales Hemsky look like the Cal Ripken Jr. of hockey. The injury prone winger is in the final year of a contract that registers a $3.5 million cap hit, with a little under $810K remaining.
Columbus Blue Jackets pick up Craig Rivet: The Buffalo Sabres were forced to place Rivet on re-entry waivers (and therefore take on half of his salary), but they got rid of their captain-turned-stiff when the Blue Jackets made a claim. This is the second over-the-hill captain waiver addition made by Scott Howson & Co. this season, as he also claimed Ethan Moreau from the Edmonton Oilers. Rivet also has $3.5 million about $810K left on his deal, so both teams will take an approximate $405K hit from this move.
Philadelphia Flyers claim Nick Boynton: Finally, the Flyers made up for the loss of Oskars Bartulis by claiming Boynton from the Chicago Blackhawks. Boynton keeps bouncing around the league but is a cheap, veteran option at $500K for the year or about $116K for the rest of the season.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18