Feb 26, 2011, 1:19 AM EDT
For recaps of Friday’s first six games, click here. Let’s take a look at the remaining three games from a busy night of NHL action.
Now that the Devils lost to the Lightning, the Sharks now hold the NHL’s longest winning streak at six games. They beat the previously-hot Flames in a shootout tonight thanks to a Ryan Clowe winner. The Sharks must feel good about themselves going into a six-game homestand, while Calgary improved their playoff chances with the charity point. Miikka Kiprusoff (30 save) & Co. are in seventh place with 71 points now.
Ben Bishop stood taller (literally and figuratively) in a match between towering netminders as he earned his first career shutout (39 saves) while Devan Dubnyk allowed five goals on 22 shots. Chris Stewart continues his scorching hot run to being his stay in St. Louis, notching two goals (including the game-winner) to improve to six goals in five games with the Blues. This moves the Blues to a reasonable-but-still-daunting five points behind the eighth place Dallas Stars, which would be fine except that four other teams are still ahead of them for that eighth spot.
At this point, just about every game is important for the Western Conference playoff bubble teams. These two teams showed just how intense this race could end up being, as they played a hard-fought game won thanks to an overtime breakaway game-winner by Pierre-Marc Bouchard.
It’s tough to beat up the Ducks too much considering the fact that they sent 48 shots at Minnesota’s sturdy backup Jose Theodore, but the bottom line is that the streaky Ducks have lost five straight games. Two of those defeats came at the hands of the Wild, who find themselves in a virtual fifth-place tie with the Los Angeles Kings (the Kings are technically in fifth because they’ve played one less game and hold an extra win).
Dan Ellis lost his first start as the Ducks’ (temporary) go-to goalie, although he was solid (28 out of 31 saves).
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)