Feb 26, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
There were at least two big, controversial hits that might sideline two NHL All-Stars last night. Neither one will result in a suspension for either of the guilty parties, but New York Rangers rookie Derek Stepan will face a (currently undisclosed) fine for his elbow on Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green while newly acquired Pittsburgh Penguins blueliner Matt Niskanen won’t be suspended or fined for his check on Carolina Hurricanes star Eric Staal. (Both news bits according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.)
It’s unclear if the league only fined Stepan because of the cross-check Green delivered first, but it’s a little surprising that the NHL didn’t at least give the Rangers rookie a game or two for losing his cool and delivering a very questionable hit. That check was the kind of retaliatory hit the league must prohibit.
Meanwhile, the lack of discipline for Niskanen’s hit on Staal seems fairly reasonable. He didn’t seem to leave his feet or show malicious intent on the check, but surely Hurricanes fans must not be very happy about it.
Both Green and Staal will miss today’s games because of injuries related to the hits. We’ll update you later on when the team relays information regarding their injury statuses.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)