Feb 26, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
There were at least two big, controversial hits that might sideline two NHL All-Stars last night. Neither one will result in a suspension for either of the guilty parties, but New York Rangers rookie Derek Stepan will face a (currently undisclosed) fine for his elbow on Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green while newly acquired Pittsburgh Penguins blueliner Matt Niskanen won’t be suspended or fined for his check on Carolina Hurricanes star Eric Staal. (Both news bits according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.)
It’s unclear if the league only fined Stepan because of the cross-check Green delivered first, but it’s a little surprising that the NHL didn’t at least give the Rangers rookie a game or two for losing his cool and delivering a very questionable hit. That check was the kind of retaliatory hit the league must prohibit.
Meanwhile, the lack of discipline for Niskanen’s hit on Staal seems fairly reasonable. He didn’t seem to leave his feet or show malicious intent on the check, but surely Hurricanes fans must not be very happy about it.
Both Green and Staal will miss today’s games because of injuries related to the hits. We’ll update you later on when the team relays information regarding their injury statuses.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)