Feb 26, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at Saturday’s eight game schedule. As always, the start times are according to Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Nashville @ Dallas
The Stars have been falling apart (five losses in a row before their win against the Red Wings and only two wins in their last 11 games) while the Predators are struggling as well with three straight losses. Who will win this important games between two hard-luck clubs?
Colorado @ Los Angeles
After that epic 10-game road trip, the Kings start a five-game homestand today. They better do well during it too, because Los Angeles will then play four straight away games and then five more home games in a row. They need to remain resilient and keep piling up points, so beating the Avalanche is at a premium.
Pittsburgh @ Toronto
To the surprise of few, goals have been hard to come by for the banged up and rapidly renovating Penguins. Alexei Kovalev and James Neal try to get acquainted in a hostile environment tonight, as the Maple Leafs hope to improve their chances during an improbable run to playoff contention.
Carolina @ Montreal
The Canadiens need to start gaining points if they want any hope of catching up to the Bruins in the Northeast, while the Hurricanes must cope without Eric Staal for at least tonight’s game.
Washington @ NY Islanders
The Capitals will probably come out angry tonight after getting humiliated by the Rangers last night, but the Islanders haven’t been pushovers lately. Washington needs to win games like these if they want to build up some more respect, although it’s likely they will do so without Mike Green after the controversial Derek Stepan hit from Friday.
Philadelphia @ Ottawa
The Senators are starting to look like a party story after Halloween. Sure, there’s some merchandise left, but the big sale already happened. The Flyers might want to peruse the remaining stock for all we know, though.
Detroit @ Buffalo
The Sabres are doing their best to keep pace (and hopefully pass) the Hurricanes. With Staal out they have a great chance … unfortunately, they have to try to earn points against the Red Wings.
Boston @ Vancouver
Could this be a Stanley Cup finals preview? It’s not out of the question, as the Northeast-leading Bruins visit the league-leading Canucks in Vancouver tonight. These teams don’t see each other often, so it should be interesting to see how this one works out.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 0
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 9
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 18
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)