Feb 26, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
There’s no doubt that things have been dire for the Dallas Stars, but the team won two straight games against quality Central Division opponents to keep their playoff hopes alive. It naturally begs the question that must be asked, even if it might wear down some Stars fans: could this two-game streak help the team keep Brad Richards?
Obviously, the stakes are huge in this situation. Sure, the team earned victories in these two games without their top center and scorer, but he’s the straw that stirs the drink. In two days, Joe Nieuwendyk will have to decide to either move Richards to avoid losing him for nothing or press his luck by trying to re-sign the talented passer.
Personally, I cannot help but lean toward the riskier second option because Richards is such an outstanding catalyst (especially since the team could have new owners in place by July), but it’s a complicated situation that will depend on Richards’ health and the offers that come rolling in.
In the mean time, let’s get back to this afternoon’s game.
Alex Goligoski is making a great early impression, as he tied the game up with a third period goal and also had an assist on Loui Eriksson‘s game-winner on the power play. Goalie Kari Lehtonen proved why he is the Stars’ other crucial cog, making 25 saves to earn his 25th win of the season. Colin Wilson had a nice effort in a losing cause, scoring a goal and and assist for struggling Nashville.
The Stars leapfrogged the Calgary Flames in the West, moving into a virtual three-way tie with the Los Angeles Kings and Minnesota Wild for fifth place in the conference with 72 points. The loss hurts the Predators dearly, as they’re now tied with the Chicago Blackhawks for ninth with 70 points.
Dallas won’t play another game before the trade deadline expires on Monday, but at least they showed they might have the moxie to make it to the playoffs. We’ll wait and see if that statement was profound enough to keep Richards, even if it’s obviously a lot more complicated than that.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)