Feb 26, 2011, 5:08 PM EST
There’s no doubt that things have been dire for the Dallas Stars, but the team won two straight games against quality Central Division opponents to keep their playoff hopes alive. It naturally begs the question that must be asked, even if it might wear down some Stars fans: could this two-game streak help the team keep Brad Richards?
Obviously, the stakes are huge in this situation. Sure, the team earned victories in these two games without their top center and scorer, but he’s the straw that stirs the drink. In two days, Joe Nieuwendyk will have to decide to either move Richards to avoid losing him for nothing or press his luck by trying to re-sign the talented passer.
Personally, I cannot help but lean toward the riskier second option because Richards is such an outstanding catalyst (especially since the team could have new owners in place by July), but it’s a complicated situation that will depend on Richards’ health and the offers that come rolling in.
In the mean time, let’s get back to this afternoon’s game.
Alex Goligoski is making a great early impression, as he tied the game up with a third period goal and also had an assist on Loui Eriksson‘s game-winner on the power play. Goalie Kari Lehtonen proved why he is the Stars’ other crucial cog, making 25 saves to earn his 25th win of the season. Colin Wilson had a nice effort in a losing cause, scoring a goal and and assist for struggling Nashville.
The Stars leapfrogged the Calgary Flames in the West, moving into a virtual three-way tie with the Los Angeles Kings and Minnesota Wild for fifth place in the conference with 72 points. The loss hurts the Predators dearly, as they’re now tied with the Chicago Blackhawks for ninth with 70 points.
Dallas won’t play another game before the trade deadline expires on Monday, but at least they showed they might have the moxie to make it to the playoffs. We’ll wait and see if that statement was profound enough to keep Richards, even if it’s obviously a lot more complicated than that.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)