Feb 25, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
Every week, we’ll provide updates for each division. The biggest contenders and/or closest races will receive the greatest amount of attention.
Note: I’ll keep commentary to the teams who are in the most pressing situations, so nothing on the Canucks, Avalanche or Oilers.
Bold = playoff contender; Italics = likely lottery fodder.
Northwest Division outlook (February 25 -March 3)
1. Vancouver Canucks (39-14-9 for 87 pts; 62 Games Played)
Current streak: One win
Week ahead: Three home games – vs. Boston (Saturday), vs. Columbus (Tuesday) and Nashville (Thursday).
2. Minnesota Wild (32-23-6 for 70 pts; 61 GP)
Current streak: One loss.
Week ahead: @ Anaheim (Fri), home vs. Chicago (Mon), @ Islanders (Wed) and @ Rangers (Thu).
Thoughts: The Wild face two huge games, one against the Ducks tonight and the other versus the Blackhawks on Monday. They would do well for themselves if they can win both, especially in overtime.
3. Calgary Flames (31-23-8 for 70 pts; 62 GP)
Current Streak: One loss.
Week ahead: Home vs. San Jose (Fri), home vs. St. Louis (Sun), @ St. Louis (Tues) and @ Chicago (Wed).
Thoughts: This week looks like a serious challenge and opportunity for the Flames. the toughest test comes tonight against the red-hot Sharks. The most important game comes against their bubble mates the Blackhawks, while a home-and-home with the downtrodden but occasionally dangerous Blues serves as the meat to this week’s sandwich of games.
4. Colorado Avalanche (26-28-7 for 59 pts; 61 GP)
Current streak: One loss.
Week ahead: Three away games – vs. Los Angeles (Sat), Anaheim (Sun) and San Jose (Tues)
5. Edmonton Oilers (20-33-8 for 48 pts; 61 GP)
Current streak: One win.
Week ahead: Four home games – vs. St. Louis (Fri), Boston (Sun), Nashville (Tues) and Columbus (Thurs).
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)