Feb 25, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
In the short term, the Carolina Hurricanes improved their playoff outlook with a commanding 4-1 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Yet the Eastern Conference’s current eighth seed could be in serious trouble if Eric Staal misses significant time with an upper body injury the star center suffered during tonight’s game.
Matt Niskanen knocked Staal out of the game with a body check in the second period. The big forward didn’t return to the game after the hit. It’s unclear how severe the injury might be, but reports indicate that the elder Staal brother won’t play in Carolina’s game against the Montreal Canadiens tomorrow night.
Some might say that this is an example of near-immediate karma, as Eric leveled his brother (and New York Rangers defenseman) Marc Staal with a brutal hit on Tuesday night. Marc didn’t play tonight for Washington, by the way. (It must be noted that Marc seems to have a knee injury that might not be related to the brotherly loveless check, though.)
However you frame it, this could be an enormous blow to the Hurricanes’ playoff hopes. It looked like he would easily hit the 30+ goal mark for the fifth time in his seven-season career, as Eric scored 27 goals and 32 assists for 59 points in 62 games so far this season.
Naturally, we will pass along updates regarding his condition as information comes along in the next day or few days. If the injury is significant, it could force the Canes to “buy” someone a little more expensive than Cory Stillman. We shall see.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)