Feb 25, 2011, 8:53 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets placed hot-and-cold winger Kristian Huselius on the injured reserve retroactive to February 18th, when he suffered his lower-body injury. The team lists him as day-to-day.
To observers who might be a bit optimistic regarding the Blue Jackets winger, this might damage his prospects as possible trade bait. After all, the offensive-minded forward did produce a 77-point (34 goals and 43 assists) season rolling with Jarome Iginla on the Calgary Flames in 2006-07.
Perhaps GM Scott Howson can try to say that the Columbus system undermined his offensive skills (21 points in 35 games this season), but his contract probably would have stamped out talks with most NHL teams anyway. (Unless the Jackets wanted to take on an even more problematic deal, that is.)
Huselius has one more season remaining on a deal with an annual salary cap hit of $4.75 million, so his hefty salary and injury issues indicate that he’ll likely be a Jacket for at least the rest of this season (if not the remainder of the contract).
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)